Fossil Seaurchin From North Spain (europe)

Eureka

Hi, friends.

First of all I wanna wish you a happy new year and great fossil findings for the next months!

I just need some help. I enclose a picture of a fossil in its matrix. The specimen was found in north of Spain.

It was found in a Lower Cretaceous period area (to be more accurate Albian material).

It is a seaurchin....but what´s exact species name? any clues?

Best regards and thanks!!

Eureka

post-920-1231345620_thumb.jpg

post-920-1231345855_thumb.jpg

post-920-1231345874_thumb.jpg

post-920-1231345902_thumb.jpg

Hi, friends.

First of all I wanna wish you a happy new year and great fossil findings for the next months!

I just need some help. I enclose a picture of a fossil in its matrix. The specimen was found in north of Spain.

It was found in a Lower Cretaceous period area (to be more accurate Albian material).

Eureka

It seems a Cottaldia for me, but with albian range I don't know what type of species was there?

In Aptian C.royoi exist in iberian peninsula, and also C. (Micropedina) olisiponensis in the Cenomanian strata, why not in the Albian? :blush:

Hi, friends.

Eureka

Hi man! Nice to meet a "Northern" fossil hunter like me! Great urchin! How do you clean it? Acid? Air scribe?

Dear MB,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I am not quite sure this specimen would be a Cottaldia...Let´s see, I could even run the risk of calling it Codechinus, unfortunately I can not assure it.

Moropus, nice to share this passion with another Northern guy. For your information, this specimen was found like you can see on the pictures....just washed with water and soap.

Eureka

It looks a bit like the Pedinopsis we have here in Texas but your echinoid is more rounded and the bumps are more evenly distributed and sized. Here is the Pedinopsis I found in very early Cenomanian age deposits. I'll go through my papers when I get home.

post-11-1231451356_thumb.jpg

Dear MB,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I am not quite sure this specimen would be a Cottaldia...Let´s see, I could even run the risk of calling it Codechinus, unfortunately I can not assure it.

Moropus, nice to share this passion with another Northern guy. For your information, this specimen was found like you can see on the pictures....just washed with water and soap.

Eureka

Hi,

Your urchin could be a Cottaldia or not, but it is not a Codechinus, look at the ambulacra, the interambulacra , count its pores if I'm seeing correctly, it seems it have a pore pair, and it is not the case of Codechinus, in fact Codechinus is a ball, your urchin it is not a ball, seem a little bit flattened.

I could be wrong but it is my point of view.

:)

Dear MB,

Sorry for this delay in replying, due to many duties. After having a look of the specimen in detail, I agree with you, not chance of being a Codechinus.

I can not assure it is a Cottaldia variety.

Perhaps othe members can add other names to the seaurchin?

Let´s wait.

Eureka