Small Nsr Find

Gary T

Found several of these Saturday at the NSR. I had never noticed them on previous trips, perhaps I only saw them because I was closer to the ground on this trip (sunk in the muck to my ankles). Based on the quantity I saw, I am sure someone knows what they are.post-407-1231349623_thumb.jpg I forgot to add that they are fluted on the sides and all have exactly 6 ridges, 5 flutes, and if you cross-sectioned them the pattern would be rather symmetrical.

Thanks

Gary

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Found several of these Saturday at the NSR. I had never noticed them on previous trips, perhaps I only saw them because I was closer to the ground on this trip (sunk in the muck to my ankles). Based on the quantity I saw, I am sure someone knows what they are.post-407-1231349623_thumb.jpg

Looks like the top of a Crinoid. Im not sure it they are found in the NSR, but it could be a different type of plant as well.

Cool finds.

Justin

I had never seen worm tubes that were fluted on the sides before, only smooth. Thanks for the info

Worm tubes of the genus Hamulus?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks again. Little guy must have been quite the engineer. I did a search on Hamulus, and found Dan's photo from April 15, 2007.

Yep...worm tubes. I got some of those when i went a couple of months ago. I had no idea what they were at the time. I thought they were some kind of Dentalium (tusk shells) until I looked it up.

6 out of 7 muck sievers surveyed say "tube worm." Sadly to say I am not nearly as excited about them now. Just no love for the annilids.

...Sadly to say I am not nearly as excited about them now. Just no love for the annilids.

An annihilist, eh? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!