The Pleistocene Presents...

JohnJ

Last Sunday, Danwoehr and I had the chance to visit a Pleistocene area where he has permission to hunt. The Texas forecast was warm early and cold later. It was nice having the right gear when the wind kicked up during a cold downpour. We persisted through the intermittent showers to find some cool stuff. There was some sandstone in the area that took on a variety of shapes. We joked back and forth about who was finding the most "mammoth teeth"! It was a fun trip to start the year.

Sometimes it's the way a find presents itself that makes it memorable.

post-420-1231393576_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231393600_thumb.jpg

post-420-1231393638_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231393871_thumb.jpg

post-420-1231393896_thumb.jpg

The large find of the day...

post-420-1231394236_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231394460_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231394484_thumb.jpg

A find we joked about...sandstone covered in algae...

post-420-1231394776_thumb.jpg

post-420-1231394815_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It was nice having the right gear when the wind kicked up during a cold downpour. We persisted through the intermittent showers to find some cool stuff.

It's amazing how insignificant annoying weather elements become when you're consumed with good fossil collecting, as if you're in another dimension and nothing else matters. I'm not talking tornados, floods, hurricanes, etc...LOL But a little rain makes my fossils nice and shiny when I collect them as long as I'm prepared.

Nice finds!

Kevin Wilson

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for the in situ picture. I always appreciate seeing them in original setting. Lets the rest of us have dreams of our own find.

Great hunting, any ids yet?

The horse teeth were really neat. They're fairly common, but they initially looked like a jaw could be under the sand....

The large bone is still a mystery. Dan's first thoughts were that it might be from a sloth. I can't pin it down yet, but he may be correct.

Anyone have any ideas on the algae covered sandstone...(he slowly pulls the velvet hammer from behind his back)?

oh, heck...here it comes...

why yes! i know what it is! it's a chevron antler from a deermoth!

<waiting>

Having had the unfair advantage of viewing this sandstone specimen first hand, I'll quietly sit and see what others think this is..........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

ok, i just got the shape a bit, and am guessing that my prior guessings were wrong, but this is a fairly annoying contest, probably with a silver hoodoo as the prize, huh?

ok, one more guess. i'm thinking it's an atlatl for a big-butted dart...

oh, heck...here it comes...

why yes! i know what it is! it's a chevron antler from a....

post-420-1231553286_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231553316_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned, Dan and I were joking back and forth holding up our sandstone "teeth", "spearpoints", and "bones". So, I grabbed another, algae covered piece of stone and held it up toward Dan.

"What do you think this is??", I jested (sorry, tracer; i know that's usually your job, but you weren't there and I was doing my best). Before I could remember a name to skip sideways at Dan, he blurted "Tetrameryx shuleri".

"Yeah, that would be cool!" as I pictured the weird horned antelope. Too bad it was sandstone. So, I tossed it back with the rest of it's slimy kin...and it broke. We'd been pitching sandstone all day, but the white core that caught my eye wasn't normal. It didn't get any more normal when I picked up both pieces to show Dan. "OK, now what do you think this is?", I said.

His jaw dropped...somewhere on the ground with mine! The joke was on us! It wasn't just sandstone anymore.

post-420-1231555869_thumb.jpgpost-420-1231555981_thumb.jpg

After I brushed off the dirt and slime at the house, more of the bone became visible...

post-420-1231556872_thumb.jpg

post-420-1231556907_thumb.jpg

So, is it part of THIS and THIS?

it isn't fair. i wasn't there.

you're dreamin' son, that ain't the one.

but when in doubt, you prep it out.

remove the stone, just leave the bone.

and then you'll see, what it might be.

it ain't from cattle...

...it's an atlatl.

p.s. - you threw a fossil on the ground and broke it. that's 1.5 million years of bad luck...

you should have immediately pinched dan and thrown him over your left shoulder.

(just kiddin', dan. figured you wouldn't mind being a humor prop)

p.s. - you threw a fossil on the ground and broke it. that's 1.5 million years of bad luck...

Dang...1.5 million! It was a Pleistocene fossil...can't I get a reduction on that sentence?

Meanwhile, I'll keep prepping it out. B)

hey, just so we're clear, "prepping it out" doesn't mean throwing it against hard objects until the sandstone is all broken off.

sorry about the 1.5 million, but purposely damaging a whatzit is a federal karma beef and they're under mandatory sentencing guidelines.