Question Regarding Matoaka Beach Cabins

aagreene

I've talked to several people about this while I've been hunting the beach at Matoaka. Which direction do you like to go once you go down the stairs and hit the beach? I always head north then turn around and head south back to the large cement cylinder (not sure what it is).

I've had several people tell me going one direction is better than the other; some say they don't even bother going north. And still others say it’s cyclical and switches back and forth.

I've always thought that the distribution of fossils throughout the Cliffs area was somewhat random but even. Is this true? Does the exposure of fossils vary spatially/temporally?

I guess that's actually more than one question...but I've got a lot of them :D

I've talked to several people about this while I've been hunting the beach at Matoaka. Which direction do you like to go once you go down the stairs and hit the beach? I always head north then turn around and head south back to the large cement cylinder (not sure what it is).

I've had several people tell me going one direction is better than the other; some say they don't even bother going north. And still others say it’s cyclical and switches back and forth.

I've always thought that the distribution of fossils throughout the Cliffs area was somewhat random but even. Is this true? Does the exposure of fossils vary spatially/temporally?

I guess that's actually more than one question...but I've got a lot of them :D

Well...I went there for the first time today. I went North up to Western Shores/Kenwood Beach area. Since I've never been South I can't really give an argument, but walking North worked well for me. I found half of a 5" megalodon tooth.