James River Fossil Id

mt_cat

• New Members

Can anyone direct me to the best source for fossil ID from the James river, Tidewater area. Era etc. I have clams, ribs, vertabra (all very large) I was told they are pre dinasour. All are stone and in great shape. Some may be whale or porpse and mussels of various types. Thanks for any help

Guest solius symbiosus

Probably not pre-dino(paleozoic). Most of the rocks east of the mountains are Cenozoic, or older complex melts. Post some pics. Someone will id them.

Hi mt_cat, welcome to the forum,

I believe whales first evolved about 50mya so certainly not pre-dino.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

• New Members
Probably not pre-dino(paleozoic). Most of the rocks east of the mountains are Cenozoic, or older complex melts. Post some pics. Someone will id them.

I will do that. I know very little about this subject. I do know they are from the area mentioned and are fossil (stone) but not sure what animal. They are football size. Thanks for the help

Most of the stuff in that area is Pliocene in age, roughly 4 million years old. In this area the Eastover formation overlies the Yorktown formation, giving up a bunch of cool whale and dolphin bones as well as shells such as Chesapecten and Ecphora. I've only hunted the area once but man what a blast it was!

I will do that. I know very little about this subject. I do know they are from the area mentioned and are fossil (stone) but not sure what animal. They are football size. Thanks for the help

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Welcome to the forum and am looking forward to you posting some pictures, I am sure someone can ID them for you.