Fossil Hunters- A Clash Of Personalities And Abilities

Ray Eklund

I could not find a discussion that fit my post, so stuck it here. A moderator may want to move or remove this, and I have no argument as to what is done with these ideas.

Fossils Hunting

There are several kinds of fossil hunting techniques. Each technique has a PERSONALITY to go with it. It is not something that is obvious at first, but it is much like a photographer of birds and someone wanting to take macro photographs of fossils... having a camera in common, yet nothing in common.

The same with fossil collecting.

Sitters. Those who split Green River Shale in Kemmerer, Wyoming. At an established quarry the fossils are found while quarrying. Same with the Crinoids and Trilobites in the Midwest. You stay in a confined area and work it until the formation is worked through or you die of old age. One or the other. Utah Cambrian trilobites are great for sitters. Fossil plants in shale. If you spend more time sitting and digging... you are a sitter.

Walkers. Those who walk the outcrops to find freshly exposed and weathered out fossils. White River Badlands. Soft shales with crinoid calyxes eroding out. Ammonites. Dinosaur. A walker will at times have to become a "temporary sitter" when the fossil is large, articulated skeleton or needs to be removed with matrix. But... it is temporary. Mazon Creek concretions. Any hunt that depends on erosion to expose the fossil is a Walker personality as you have to walk, and walk and walk in the process of hunting. I am a walker. Sitting drives me completely NUTS. I can go with a group of sitters and while walking, find more and possibly better spots while they are digging and probing around...

Sifters. Those who sit and walk. Micro fossil hunters. Armed with a powerful hand lens and glass vials for finds. They find more individual fossils than the sitters and walkers combined! They are easy to carry. Take up little room at home. The variety is almost unlimited. I have a lot of respect for those who are sifters. I would want to be buried alive in a hot lava flow than sift. Just a personality trait that I must suffer with, but the sifter would rather be eaten by mad dogs than be a walker.... So we both share a common dislike for the other's technique for the hunt.

Preparation..ers. Those who sit and walk and then sit. Detailed oriented individuals with artistic ability and could draw a fossil faster than preparing one. A table of tools, compressors, air abraders, dental tools, Foredoms, glues, cements, etc.. Some prefer the preparing fossils more than the sitting, walking or carrying plaster jacketed large heavy specimens out of the field to the work shop. I would rather have a bucket of hungry ticks on me than prep fossils. I have no talent, other than finding a perfectly weathered out fossil and prep it with a paper towel. If the specimen needs any cosmetic work... get the bucket of ticks out. I have no talent nor can be trained to have any. You either have the talent... or you watch.

Shoppers/Collector. Now, you are the smart ones! You research WHO has been doing the sitting, walking or preparing the specimens. You know how many hours it takes to find those special finds. Your time is best applied at an occupation that delivers a check that does not bounce or is "in the mail". The shopper purchases from those whose passion is in the finding and the hunting. The shoppers have the wonderful displays at the Rock, Mineral and Fossil shows! They eventually donate their collections. A shopper hears through the "grape vine" the NEW finds. The shopper usually specializes, much like an ART collector has their favorite artist... shoppers have their favorite fossil suppliers. Prepared or Field Wrapped...

Photographers. After all of the above options, the photographer makes it possible for the rest of us to DREAM about the natural treasures that exist in Nature! A skill and artistry of its own. As important as finding a specimen, having it prepared and delivered to a collector... the photographer adds the frosting on this big cake we all enjoy! Then the writer comes in and uses this skill to illustrate the books that we all are in need. I cannot even figure out how to use my macro on my Canon SX50HS... but will figure out if it kills me, or outlives me. Black and white, color or a combination... one ability that provides many of us with entertainment and the ability to dream about the snow retreating and the fair weather permits us to leave the confines of home... and explore.

Since the snow here is melting and there will be thoughts of getting back into the field to discover what I have been longing for all Winter... do you have anything to add?

Added... Techniques:

Crawlers. This technique is used in small areas that have a concentration of smaller fossils, weathered out from local formations and concentrated into stream/creek sand and gravel bars. This can also apply to those Walkers who find parts and pieces of desirable fossils washed down to the base of a steep outcrop. By crawling up the outcrop, the source(s) of the specimen can be located and the the Preparation...er aspect can be practiced at home, putting the puzzle together... only to discover that one piece is lacking to complete the specimen. Thus a Walker to Crawler to Prepper to Walker, Sitter and Crawler. (Thank you BobWill.)

Winnower/Wave Washer. Those collectors who add water by wave, creek or bucket. A bit unknown in the arid western USA, but where there is a source of water and a bucket this technique can be used. (Thank you danwoehr and JoeD.)

Swimmers. Those snorkeling and scuba divers for large shark's teeth, Pleistocene bone and bottles in the murky waters of the Southeast and no doubt other places. There must be enough water available so to lay in a prone position, drag your nose along the bottom and "feel" their way into fossil and archaeological finds. If the water is too low... you become a winnower/wave washer/bucket swasher. (Thank you DeloiVarden.)

Shadowers. A technique which takes advantage of the "collective experiences of fossil collectors" at a popular fossil site. By watching experienced collectors, the Shadowers can determine How to collect specimens, Which tools are best utilized, if any other method of collecting can be adapted and Question the experienced collector(s) as to WHAT should I would be looking for. For all practical purposes... this is a popular technique that no one had previously offered a name, although used by collectors since the beginning of time. (Thank you Haizahnjager & Scylla.)

Gleaners. "Glean- to gather slowly and arduously- verb" Gleaners- the noun. This technique is common among ALL collectors. What one collector discards from a small quarry... a gleaner will spot those gems that were missed after the "sitter" has left. This technique is very common around trilobite and fish quarries, large or small. Those individuals who search the tailings and natural slopes with possible specimens to be "gleaned"... are Gleaners. Gleaners are not to be confused with "walkers", whose pace is faster and less efficient that most "gleaning" activities. Gleaners honor the 5 Minute Rule of collecting: If a digging site has been abandoned of personnel and equipment after five minutes... it is available to anyone.

... any other techniques... might... be valid excuses to add to this list. The misuse of any words of the English language is permitted as a general rule of thumbs and fingers.

I am sorry but Floaters, Flickers and Crampers are invalid techniques. These appear to be the names of birds offered by Joe D and obsessed1. Although obesessed1 made some beautiful finds... a cramper... is not a valid technique, unless your are over 80 years old. Nice photographs!

No, grumpy is not eligible.

Edited by Ray Eklund

I have added some photographs on my sitting and walking experiences. I include one photograph of friends who wanting to experience the "walking experience" and were a bit shaken by the experience. They have not asked to come along on one of our trips, since. So some photos of you working at your choice of fossil hunting.

I have provided some of mine.

Whenever you have "walkers" that carry professional walking devices... amateurs. I use a heavy walking stick taken out of a Beaver Dam and carved my name into it. In the event my body is discovered in the back country, they will know my first name. The stout hiking stick is to flip rattle snakes off the trail, help cross shallow streams and to threaten any bear that thinks I am a cheeseburger wearing a hat.

Badlands of Nebraska and Green River Formation quarry near Kemmerer, Wyoming, New Mexico chalcedony hunting. Sitters, walkers and water bugs.

post-14238-0-05065300-1392405934_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-18128500-1392405957_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-61774800-1392405970_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-33163400-1392405984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray Eklund

I think the personality type you are depends on what fossils you are after. If I'm collecting in the Peace River of sifting for shark teeth at Venice Beach I'm a sifter. Most times I'm a walker on a new outcrop. In Utah I'm a splitter, depending on the matrix. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have added some photographs on my sitting and walking experiences. I include one photograph of friends who wanting to experience the "walking experience" and were a bit shaken by the experience. They have not asked to come along on one of our trips, since. So some photos of you working at your choice of fossil hunting.

I have provided some of mine.

Whenever you have "walkers" that carry professional walking devices... amateurs. I use a heavy walking stick taken out of a Beaver Dam and carved my name into it. In the event my body is discovered in the back country, they will know my first name. The stout hiking stick is to flip rattle snakes off the trail, help cross shallow streams and to threaten any bear that thinks I am a cheeseburger wearing a hat.

Badlands of Nebraska and Green River Formation quarry near Kemmerer, Wyoming, New Mexico chalcedony hunting. Sitters, walkers and water bugs.

Nice pix and good looking site. I don't know about the stream, but I would like to fish in it,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The River is Wiggins Fork north of DuBois, Wyoming. DeLorme Atlas of Wyoming, page 49 take Horse Creek Road as far north as it goes. It will end at a Forest Service camp ground. On the north side of the river is the "Ranger Station" also referred to as Double Cabin. You can camp at the campground with water pump, trash and dry restroom and nominal cost. Or go closer to the river for free camping, you pick the site. We will always leave a check and ask to use the water pump if needed. There is a restroom for the horse packers going to the northwest for agate and petrified wood. Mid June to Mid August the water is down and the trout run 12 to 14 inches as the larger catches.

The road is paved part of the way and "groomed gravel" to the end. Turn the kids loose and there are trails and back country jeep roads everywhere to the south. To the north is Primitive wilderness and hiking or horse packing in and out.

Boulders of petrified wood in the gravels. The further from camp... the better the hunting. Would Ray exaggerate? Not here. See for yourself. Can you spot my wife and the amateur? Dogs love to swim in the 48 degree water...

The end of the road camp is in the valley and the Forest Service camp is in the pine along the gravel road. The camp host is on the left as you drive into the open area. When in DuBois... it seems hot and desolate. When you get to Double Cabin... it is like you are in a different part of the World. The area you see in the distance is the valley that hikers go to Yellowstone from DuBois... one long hiking trail!

post-14238-0-56722000-1392407439_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-12592200-1392407451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray Eklund

my style relies heavily on several tenets.

one is constant exploration for new sites, undocumented virgin exposures being the most satisfying outcome.

since i'm a generalist, and fossil variety presents in a

number of ways, i try to stay flexible on

technique and approach. that said, my go to style is that of a walker. i like to cover maximum high potential real estate per number of available daylight hours, supplemented by flashlights at times. i may miss 20% of the good stuff by moving fast, but would like to think i make up for

that and more in ground covered.

i tend to shy away from big groups in the field for a number of reasons. for me, quiet times in nature are most relaxing. i concentrate best and collect most systematically without commotion surrounding me. groups of up to 3 tend to work great not only for each collector when good finds are limited, but also in mitigating landowner liability concerns. "acres of sweet spot per person" is my constant objective. when that isn't available, i direct my wife or son or a buddy to

the hot zones, then follow behind.

i love nature for the raw experience, but since i like variety and quality of finds and distribution

is quite scattered, best experiences tend to come at considerable sacrifice of time, sleep, comfort, and fuel. therefore i always strive to maximize my "quality fossil per dollar-hour-mile index". if all i'm after are back slapping good times with buddies as the sun goes down, i can fire up the grill and have that at considerably lower cost in my back yard. i accept getting skunked at times after a $200 weekend of exploring, but make no mistake, productivity is always pursued.

accessorization is also part of my approach. boats, ladders, plane tickets, flashlights, screens, sifters, scuba, 4wd all come into play as needed.

while i take buddies with me often, individualism is generally what produces the sites i take them to. my outlook is that no one owes me a thing, and i'm content make things happen through my own decisions and efforts. when i'm a guest i tend to reward the host handsomely either in fossils, transportation, reciprocal trip, or some combination of the above. but in the end, second hand information generally leads to someone else's seconds, so i prefer to "roll my own", given the opportunity.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have been each of the nominate types at one time or another, as dictated by the site, and found satisfaction in all which afforded time for contemplation (I tend to be highly focused and not prone to distractions).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm a walker, no doubt about it. And I prefer the lone hunt with a dog. Not to say that I don't enjoy people and take them out hunting whenever asked. But I love the quiet of a dry creek bed stroll, or poking through a road cut on a seldom used road. I like the bird song, the shadows as the sun begins to set, the whir of a dragon fly, and the fresh prairie winds on my face. I'm a walker. :D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

haha in today's society, i'm an anachronism.

Grüße,

I'm a 'walker' to a fault. Once I'm in the field, I'm always on the move. Admittedly, I'm a bit on the impatient side. I always walk over fossils that the guy behind me picks up. :)

If I do find a particularly good spot, I can become a 'sitter' or 'sifter', depending on what I find.

I am not a 'prepper'. I've never had the knack for it. I would like to change that.

I have been known to be a 'shopper/collector' when I come across specimens to fill the holes in my collection.

I've recently become a 'photographer' to document my collection.

Another category could be 'researcher'. I've spent countless hours reading about fossils (general and specific), formations, localities, paleoecology, etc. I'll find new sites and add them to the to-do list. I haven't been to most of them yet....

Context is critical.

I do all but buy specimens. I even collect fossils while rock collecting. Never been a "Silver Picker". I like to go where others find it too difficult but the addition of Titanium and plastics has curtailed some of my wondering. It's tough getting into my canoe but it's easy getting out. My oldest son brings a step ladder or bucket when he takes me fishing. I still climb steep rock strewn hills and wade cricks for hours on end. I walk, sift, split and sit. The last month all I've been doing is clearing snow and ice and making the gas company rich.

I made a mistake last year of breaking the ice to get in my favorite crick, then having to use my "Geopick" to break the ice to get out. Can anyone say, "Spring"?

Joe D.

We need to add a new type, the swimmers. I have done all the other types, but none really get to the heard for the scuba diver ;)

I've used all the above (except swimming) depending on the site and the expectations but you left out some other techniques. Those of us with poor close-up vision are sometimes "crawlers" when the targets are small like some of the shark teeth we find on Texas gravel bars. This can mean kneepads when the terrain is rough.

The other process requires a special circumstance and some explanation. If you're collecting teeth on a gravel bar along a creek with water available and the bar has a good slope down to the water, you can rough up the surface with a shovel but this exposes dirt and sand that has usually washed off the surface. Then you just throw buckets of water over the slope to wash the sand off and add a shine to the teeth that really makes them stand out. I forget who, but someone on TFF showed me this at Post Oak Creek in Sherman Texas years ago. If they are reading this maybe they'll take credit or tell us where they learned it.

The other one was hinted at by DanW when he mentioned flashlights. Any fossil with a shinny surface will really stand out in the gleam of a light at night. I have not tried this but heard from several others that it can work well.

so bob, you are a "winnower"

Grüße,

...and i'm a doomsday preparator.

Grüße,

I'm ( better said I want to become ) a shark teeth hunter who walks, I don't sift and I go looking for the big pieces, so I think I may miss stuff by going to fast,especially the small stuff or things that may not be tooth like... so yes I'm a walker. Any given weekend day I will hike 10 or more miles at the Chesapeake, however I always have time to chat, give and get tips and say hi, to anyone who might be around... and every once in a while I stop and look at the beauty the lord and nature provides, best of all it's FREE!!!!. MK

Like most, I would do whatever the site required. If I could sit and split shale all day, I'd be fine with that as long as I was finding things. Our local sites usually require a certain amount of walking, as the fossils aren't all that dense, though by the time I find something and have excavated it, I often have a number of extra fossils that I didn't count on, and then I have too much walking to do to get it all back to the car! So it can pay, at my main site at least, to just sit and tear one boulder apart (but a combination of both techniques is probably best). Sometimes, after sitting for a while during an excavation, I spot things nearby that I missed walking past it several times previously http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/43780-latest-tripfinds-up-my-local-mountain/ - so I can verify that walkers miss things, but of course they find other things that the splitters/sifters miss!

At transient sites of opportunity, my 'style' was what I would call "gleaner".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am either walking/wandering for "float", highly mineralized invertebrates tumbled by the water, that is more for peace, and reflection.

When I am focusing on a formation or specific fossil to collect, I like to overview the site, using what little I have learned between the forum and previous visits to the site, then see how well I do at picking the most viable layers or outcrop. Then, if my game plan isn't going well, I call audibles, and go back to scouting/walking :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

How about wave washer. I like to use my Florida shovel to scoop up loads of stuff and just spray it across the beach and wait for the waves to wash over it and expose those toothy things and that beautiful coral. The best sprayers have a knack of using just the right flick of the wrist to fling everything within reach of the tip of the waves. Any biggies are exposed right away, with the right wrist action. Does this make you a washer or flicker? The rivers and cricks are mostly frozen over and covered with snow around here and more white stuff coming down as I type. I sure miss our Florida "Snow Bird" vacations we used to take every year since retirement.

Joe

How I hunt is really dependent on where I am collecting.

• Shark Tooth Hill area - When at the Ernst Quarries I am a “sitter”. I will find some good bonebed and sit and dig until I run out of good layer. But on my first trip after swinging a hammer for hours to pop out large chunks of matrix my hand cramped, so I walked and found my largest Mako from that location

post-281-0-12795500-1392480962_thumb.jpg post-281-0-75899600-1392481022_thumb.jpg

My digging area and lots of sitters

• Mines in the Carolinas – I am definitely a “walker” here. The more ground I cover the better results I have had.

post-281-0-08606600-1392481062_thumb.jpg

Huge collecting area In PCS mine

GMR – Here I will find good gravel and then “dig and sift” until dark. Many days without moving more than a few feet as I prefer to search the deeper gravel.

post-281-0-15929100-1392481106_thumb.jpg

Just one reason to dig and sift here

• Beaches in Maryland – Here I turn back into a “walker”. Once arriving at my chosen destination I will walk back and forth for many hours. There are some folks who sift the gravels here for hours on end but I just can’t seem to talk myself into that.

post-281-0-23635400-1392481141_thumb.jpg

Miles of beaches to walk

• At home – I “sit” for hours and search for micros here from gravel I have carried home or have acquired from other collectors. I also am a “prepper “here. I have prepped matrix pieces from STH and some from here in Maryland, but my new interest is in prepping crinoids from Crawfordsville.

post-281-0-33705400-1392481182_thumb.jpgpost-281-0-67514700-1392481204_thumb.jpg

Before and after prepping of a nice Mako

So I am many different types of collector. I do find it interesting that while at GMR I will dig and sift gravel all day and not consider any other way of collecting while at the beaches in Maryland rarely try it. I believe it is a confidence issue. Because I have had good past experiences at GMR with sifting I will always rely on that method. While having poor results while sifting at the Maryland beaches I will rarely use that method there.