First Use Of Magic Sculpt

KansasFossilHunter

I was looking to try Magic Sculpt to repair some of my fish teeth, so I ordered some off this site: http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=351

I think it is fairly available through several sites. My first project was a Xiphactinus maxilla that I had found about two years ago.

post-6661-0-08886100-1392481448_thumb.jpg

I had purchased the Brown Resin, but others like White and Gray were also available. The instructions say "mix one part resin to one part hardener by volume until mixture is even in color". One thing to do is to make sure there is no dust or crumbly rock where you intend to add the Magic Sculpt- otherwise it won't stick properly. Here is my first attempt:

post-6661-0-54329200-1392481768_thumb.jpg

Clearly that needs work. You can smooth the surface of the Magic Sculpt with water.

post-6661-0-73022400-1392481903_thumb.jpg

After some more work, I painted the surface with a super glue to add some shine/ realism back to it. I also choose to put it into a slab of plaster.

Cont....

Edited by KansasFossilHunter
  • I found this Informative 1

post-6661-0-74621400-1392482302_thumb.jpg

Here is the final product:

post-6661-0-22280000-1392482344_thumb.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well! This product takes some getting used to but I would recommend it for paleo repairs.

terrific Kris, you might look into some of the reconstructive products Taxidermists use also, you seem to enjoy this aspect, and they have some specialized products I think you'd enjoy trying.

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

terrific Kris, you might look into some of the reconstructive products Taxidermists use also, you seem to enjoy this aspect, and they have some specialized products I think you'd enjoy trying.

Thanks! I'll look into that. :)