Small Ammonite Encased In Shell Of Bigger Ammonite

-Andy-

Hi all, I recently saw an unusual Placenticeras (the expensive Canadian type) in which a small specimen was lodged directly in the middle of a much bigger one.

Apologies that I have no pictures to provide, as we are discouraged from taking photos in the shop.

Imagine a large 8" ammonite split apart like a Mazon Creek nodule, and beautifully encased within it as a smaller 3" ammonite that can be removed. (Something like a Russian doll-in-a-doll)

Is this a special occurrence, and is it even possible for a smaller ammonite to be perfectly encased within the shell of the bigger one?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The description of yours sounds a lot more complex, but 5. Is something similar. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/43002-december-2013-invertebrate-plant-find-of-the-month/

Yes 5. is rather similar.

The difference is that 5. looks natural (though I have no idea how it was formed in the first place), while the placenticeras I saw was so perfectly encased within the larger ammonite that I wondered if it was manmade. In fact, the smaller ammonite can be removed easily from the body of the larger one.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!