Down By The River

Guest bmorefossil

thats probably what is needed

nope i wait for night time chat for that, its a tooth sorry you cant see from the picture, ill take some others later, ill do like a 360 view of the tooth and try to get one of the top so you can see how the coprolite is not tight against the tooth

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
thats probably what is needed

well i tried to take some pictures but they didnt turn out well, im starting to think its a croc tooth again, its just so round, i took a few pictures looking down onto it and you can see the tooth and then the coprolite.

well i tried to take some pictures but they didnt turn out well, im starting to think its a croc tooth again, its just so round, i took a few pictures looking down onto it and you can see the tooth and then the coprolite.

love that ray plate!

Miocene/Eocene

OK I see what you are talking about now and why you might think its a croc tooth, but I'm not convinced that its anything. If you can't even tell if its shark or croc tooth then maybe you should reconsider whether its anything at all. I think its impossible for anyone to tell definitively from the pictures, though. Actually I am not even 100% that its a coprolite at all, it might be a concretion. Many concretions exhibit this kind of multi-layer morphology. But the 4th picture does make it look the most like coprolite. It almost looks like a bone (rather than a tooth) protruding if anything. I think you just gotta make up your own mind on this one.

here is the best i could do.

i'll admit this could be enamel, but its just not conclusive. you have a much better look at it and ill trust you if you say its enamel, but come on, you cant REALLY expect someone to be sure just from this pic, can you? if it is enamel, i will say that it does look like it could be a shark tooth. dont think croc is a possibility at all

post-382-1231715869_thumb.jpg

are you smoking crack!! there is enamel on the thing.

please tell me what kind of animal would eat a shark's tooth, and how incredibly painful must that be?

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Guest bmorefossil
please tell me what kind of animal would eat a shark's tooth, and how incredibly painful must that be?

well the shark ate its own tooth, it started to chomp down on something, one of its teeth broke off and it came on out the other end

well the shark ate its own tooth, it started to chomp down on something, one of its teeth broke off and it came on out the other end

Well there are a number of animals that can digest just about anything. Crocs are an example for one as well as hyenas. They can eat bones, teeth and most anything but metal. I think crocs can even digest a nail!

I have a few shark teeth that have been digested and then regurgitated. I would think if the tooth was small enough the shark could pass it.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Well there are a number of animals that can digest just about anything. Crocs are an example for one as well as hyenas. They can eat bones, teeth and most anything but metal. I think crocs can even digest a nail!

I have a few shark teeth that have been digested and then regurgitated. I would think if the tooth was small enough the shark could pass it.

yea i think the regurgitated teeth are awsome. Well i dont think this tooth would have been small at all, if we are talking about a sand tiger/ sand shark, this tooth would have been well over 2" maybe working on 2.5", but since the tooth was broken I only got a fraction of it

hahaha wwoooooww. im pretty smart eh?

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Here's what I consider regurgiteeth or they might be fully digested teeth, who knows. Thanks Tom G for the scale bar.

post-382-1231726580_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Here's what I consider regurgiteeth or they might be fully digested teeth, who knows. Thanks Tom G for the scale bar.

post-382-1231726580_thumb.jpg

yea they all look like digested teeth, i have a few digested megs that i know of sadly one that i remember is broken, i couldnt beleive it when I dug it out.

What is the difference between a digested tooth and a "2nd row" tooth that doesn't have a fully formed root? Some of what you have pictured looks like teeth I've seen labeled as 2nd row teeth.

Guest bmorefossil
What is the difference between a digested tooth and a "2nd row" tooth that doesn't have a fully formed root? Some of what you have pictured looks like teeth I've seen labeled as 2nd row teeth.

so are you saying that the teeth just fell out and they were not digested? I thought you could tell that a tooth was digested by the way the enamel looks

so are you saying that the teeth just fell out and they were not digested? I thought you could tell that a tooth was digested by the way the enamel looks

That's what I'm asking. I don't know. I didn't know what the difference was. So the enamel looks eroded in digested teeth and a underdeveloped tooth would still have good enamel?

Guest bmorefossil
That's what I'm asking. I don't know. I didn't know what the difference was. So the enamel looks eroded in digested teeth and a underdeveloped tooth would still have good enamel?

hmm thats a good question, what does an underdeveloped tooth's enamel look like.

These teeth are considerably different preservtion than the vast majority of teeth from the formation they come from. Obviously they seem to have been through some severe chemical reaction/exposure and I believe that it was most likely stomach acid. I have no proof besides common sense really and what others have claimed before me :> These are in situ teeth and are not just stream/beach abraded, this is how they were preserved upon burial.

I have seen enamel "shells" that people say are underdeveloped teeth. The enamel is nice and shiny and exactly the same as typical sharks teeth, but perhaps a bit thin. They usually do not have any porous bone, just enamel "shells". They seem pretty rare to me and usually only larger ones are found, probably because they are so fragile.