Sd Matrix Questions

jgcox

Today I received my box of SD matrix from Trevor. My question is this is a new line of fossils for us as we usually hunt for invertebrates. The matrix has 3 good sized rocks that appear to be full of fossils, lots of hard clumps and loose dirt. I know to sieve the loose dirt but how did others break up the clumps and rocks?

You can use acid to dissolve the big pieces.

I recommend going to the grocery story and getting the 6% vinegar solution (sold in the cleaning aisle). If you can find it, there may be a 10% solution that is used for pickling things (not to be found at my grocery).

Let the rocks is in that for a week or two. You may need to switch out the vinegar every few days, as the acetic acid may have all reacted by then.

I got a box from Trevor a month ago and had the same assortment of pieces in my box as you describe. This works well, but takes time. :) good luck!

Thanks I'll try that-being a chemist I can get stronger acetic acid but I worry about damaging the fossils. I know for sure there are fish verts and at least 2 crusher teeth.