Looking For The Scale Name For Taking Photos To Submit

Tom G

I hope this is not off topic. It is my first post. Recently we went to the Myrtly beach area and found several fossils that I have not been able to identify and would like to post them. I am looking to purchase one of the scientific or evidence rulers or scales. You see them on crime shows thay have a vertical and horizontal ruler. does anyone know the name of this device and better yet where I can purchase one?

I realize I can post the pics with a conventional ruler as a scale.

Tom

hi, tom! welcome to the forum. i usually throw a quarter down in the area of whatever i'm photographing for scale reference. i use a nickel and keep the photo a bit blurry so people will think it's a quarter if i'm looking for kudos on the size of the fossil. i used to use one of those crime-scene rulers like you mentioned, but somehow all my fossils photo'd with that got seized and entered into evidence, so i switched reference points. i'm really not sure it was the ruler that was my problem. it might have been the chalk outlines i was doing around the fossils.

i'm practicing to be funny when i grow up. i'm at the "trying harder" stage because the initial attempts didn't work.

welcome again!

hi, tom! welcome to the forum. i usually throw a quarter down in the area of whatever i'm photographing for scale reference. i use a nickel and keep the photo a bit blurry so people will think it's a quarter if i'm looking for kudos on the size of the fossil. i used to use one of those crime-scene rulers like you mentioned, but somehow all my fossils photo'd with that got seized and entered into evidence, so i switched reference points. i'm really not sure it was the ruler that was my problem. it might have been the chalk outlines i was doing around the fossils.

i'm practicing to be funny when i grow up. i'm at the "trying harder" stage because the initial attempts didn't work.

welcome again!

Digital calipers, might be what you're looking for. As for where to get them? I usually use a plastic ruler or a quater.

Hi thank you everyone for the replies thus far. I am actually looking fro this "L" shaped ruler specifically. I realize I can use any known reference.

Tom

i opened google and typed "l scale crime scene" in the box and got 225,000 hits. there are plenty of sources.

Guest bmorefossil
Hi thank you everyone for the replies thus far. I am actually looking fro this "L" shaped ruler specifically. I realize I can use any known reference.

Tom

hi tom welcome to the forum, i know exactly what your talking about, I have seen the crime scene shows lol, I also have some large rulers that are the shape of an "L", but as in large im talking about 2 feet by 3 feet

Again thank you everyone I just found what I was looking for. they are called L-Shaped Photomacrographic Scales. I Yahooed that and every forensics supplies shop sells them.

I will be postings pics for identification shortly. I hope I didn't find little joey's baby teeth on the beach.....

Guest bmorefossil
Again thank you everyone I just found what I was looking for. they are called L-Shaped Photomacrographic Scales. I Yahooed that and every forensics supplies shop sells them.

I will be postings pics for identification shortly. I hope I didn't find little joey's baby teeth on the beach.....

the site i posted a link for sells more than one size

great now i can use one of these to help me identify footprints at my sites!

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Ok everyone,

My first contribution to the group. Attached is a pdf file of a L-Scale I created on Corel Draw. I forget I have these resources. It is in Inches, 10ths, 8ths, cm and mm.

One problem if the scale prints the wrong size goto your printing setting and turn off print to margins.

Tom G.

Moderator you are free to distribute to all...

PS. If anyone wants a custom version. say a grid in IN or MM I can do that...

l_scale.pdf

Guest bmorefossil
great now i can use one of these to help me identify footprints at my sites!

lol yea, you can get the kit down at the bottom of the page, thought that was funny

Inches and 10ths, very nice! I like it. Thanks

It is in Inches, 10ths, 8ths, cm and mm.

i cant find any horatio caine sunglasses on the website though :/

lol yea, you can get the kit down at the bottom of the page, thought that was funny

Guest bmorefossil
i cant find any horatio caine sunglasses on the website though :/

yea that is a bit of a let down, but first you need a hummer

As an ex-school teacher I know many biology departments have them that they hardly, if ever use. They often come in dissection kits. If you know someone who works at a school, or attends a school I bet you could pick one up there for nothing.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Now that I can print my own witness scale, prepare yourselves for some HUGE shark's teeth! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

lol dont get any crazy ideas

i don't fear for us. it's those ebay customers who will be crazily bidding on the twenty-inch lemon shark teeth...