A Real Fossil Shed

RJB

I think I may have posted about my shed before, but it must have been a long time ago, so here I go again. My wife and I live on an acre of land with a small log home that im adding onto to make it bigger. On the acre we also have a small shed full of all kinds of stuff. Fossils, camping stuff, boxes from our last move still and other odds and ends. But,,, we also bought 20 acres where we plan on building our real home that im going to die in. When we first moved here to Montana, I built a shed, 12X24 along with two overhangs, 6 and 8 feet on that 20 acres. The smaller overhang is now inclosed cause I ran out of room in the shed! HA!! Lots and lots of shelving too and all filled up with all kinds of fossils, some still in need of prep from years ago. And of course, Im still going to go on more fossil hunting trips to get more. Is it greed? Nope,, just a disease. Ha!!!

RB

although i have seen this before Ron, it is so awesome! i really need one of those! If i ever get to Montana im finding your property and going for a little fossil hunt in your shed, will i need a truck with more than 2tons of loading capacity? i just dont want to come un-prepaired...

HA! you wouldnt happen to have any pics of what you have in the drawers?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Hey RB, did you build the cabinets that are in the shed? We'll have to go rumage through it next time I'm down :)

Everybody seems to want my fossil shed when they see it. And yeah, its absolulty full now, hard to even walk in it! Yes, Mr. Kauffy, you will need a large truck to haul all this junk away!!! Ha!!

As for the cabinets, they used to be full of my more important fossils from Northern California, but most of that stuff was dontated and there is not much in those drawers at the moment. Except for some very rare pinecones that i couldnt bear to part with.

RB

Except for some very rare pinecones that i couldnt bear to part with.

RB

PICTURES!!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Yo kauffy dude. I dont have any pictures of them. I may have had some pics years ago, but lost quite a few photos when i got my first computer virus. They are just carbonized cones from humboldt county. I found them very early in my fossil hunting career and thought I would find many more, but that was the first and last time I ever found any. So I kept them. Perfect little cones they are too!!!

RB

PICTURES!!!

We're all jealous and you'll be receiving a steady stream of fossil nuts visiting. You could turn your shed into a theme bunkhouse: "Spend the night with a thousand fossils".

Good stuff...the closer to Canada the better (wink).

At the Geological Survey we had thousands of feet of fossil shelving. One of the keys to useful curation is to not keep any material in closed boxes, bins, pails,etc, with tops. Open or clear top drawers in cabinets are best for small items and 'bulkier' or unprepped material is put into open containers about 2 ft square with 6 inch sides and then put on a shelf. This way everything is exposed for instant perusal and access. I've kept this pattern with my own collection. Otherwise specimens get put in a box, perhaps wrapped in newspaper inside the box, that box covered with another box, etc. One starts 'to think' where something is rather than be certain and a bunch of stuff needs to be rooted through to find some specimen. When stuff is put in open-topped containers and spread out, one just needs to pull the unit out and everything is visible. Open containers are probably not best if a room is used for other things and stuff shifted around but as a dedicated collection space you'll be accessing and enjoying your fossils more.

• 4 weeks later...