Need Id

Mike Owens

I found this many moons ago. Always wanted to know what critter it is from. I haven't a clue. Please chime in.

Thanks

post-15-1231698902_thumb.jpg

post-15-1231698924_thumb.jpg

post-15-1231698944_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest bmorefossil

thats a nice vert mike, it would be nice if you could please give us some more info on where it was found, that would help with an id. Thanks

It was found in a creek bed off the NSR. It's not fossilized, but it's not recent either. Sorry, I should have posted those observations. I know it's a mammal vertebrae. Based on the size is it deer? You can find bones there ranging from recent to 90MM years old.

Guest bmorefossil
It was found in a creek bed off the NSR. It's not fossilized, but it's not recent either. Sorry, I should have posted those observations. I know it's a mammal vertebrae. Based on the size is it deer? You can find bones there ranging from recent to 90MM years old.

i guess it could be deer, not fossil but not recent lol. I found that funny, im not good with land mammals sorry.

Well that narrows it down to sheep, goats, antlope, cattle, bison, etc. Large goat or small bison? :P

i was thinking cow or bison. i can't really tell how old the bones look, and i've found some pleistocene stuff there that i would have sworn was recent if not for adhering matrix, so...

not a goat.

I put my vote in for Bos/Bison as well. Too big to be from anything else. It also looks like its recent, so I'd lean towards Bos.