From One Of My First Whiskey Bridge Trips! Omg!

silverphoenix

I found this one THE first trip I ever took to Whiskey Bridge, but kept frgetting to post it.

What in the heck is it??? Foot for scale--I wear a 12 1/2 by the way. Looks like a bison pelvis? I think this sucker is actually fossilized...no stink and very heavy...

CIMG3119.jpg

CIMG3120.jpg

Eocene pelvi oughta be greenish, I'm thinkin'

Just kidding. A complete pelvis like that would be a rare fossil, I would think.

You found Pelvis! We should thank you...very much.

It makes a great halloween mask (after bleaching). B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You found Pelvis! We should thank you...very much.

It makes a great halloween mask (after bleaching). B)

Chase,

Not saying that it isn't a fossil, but MikeD and I found one in a creek near Waco last year. It was pretty heavy too considering it came from a cow that weighed several hundred pounds. On an up note you could probably rig it into a really cool halloween mask for next year. :P

We keep looking for the elusive skull of the mythical chupacabra. It'd be great for scaring the Mexican kids in the neighborhood on Halloween! :angry:

SO now that some folks have poopooed on the idea you have the motivation to go out and find a mammoth tooth!

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

hahaha it probably is just an old cow pelvis--very true. I thought as much, but wanted to see what everyone thought. I found it hanging off a limb on a felled tree at the WHiskey Bridge site and I know someone put it up there. It's cool regardless, and old even if not a fossil :D

That reminds me--went through the material I found my squid beak in and found TONS of small teeth ans some ray plates!!! And tons of otoliths too! It's GOLD I tell ya!!!! I also preserved my best finds in that duco/acetone solution today and wiped off the film with paper towel--they look super nice now and they don't crumble! My collection is really coming along now ^_^

hahaha it probably is just an old cow pelvis--very true. I thought as much, but wanted to see what everyone thought. I found it hanging off a limb on a felled tree at the WHiskey Bridge site and I know someone put it up there. It's cool regardless, and old even if not a fossil :D

That reminds me--went through the material I found my squid beak in and found TONS of small teeth ans some ray plates!!! And tons of otoliths too! It's GOLD I tell ya!!!! I also preserved my best finds in that duco/acetone solution today and wiped off the film with paper towel--they look super nice now and they don't crumble! My collection is really coming along now ^_^

You could always try the match test. Find an area you don't mind getting burned and if it smells like burnt hair it's not fossilized. If it is a fossil it should not hurt the stone, just char it a little, it can be cleaned off in most cases. :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

:blink: Now my room stinks...thanks...

lol jk

The flame caused no reaction...I still doubt this is fossilized though--maybe just extremely old?

...I still doubt this is fossilized though--maybe just extremely old?

Unless fossils grow on trees :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well I know trees grow on fossils, but maybe the fossils are now turning the tables? lol :D

Guest bmorefossil
Well I know trees grow on fossils, but maybe the fossils are now turning the tables? lol :D

lol could be, hey guys im having real problems with this burn test now, I have only had it work one time, on a fish vert that I was sure was not a fossil. Everything else has had no reaction or smell.

Unless fossils grow on trees :P

Man, now you done it, you found that cow I planted and ruined my experiment, gee thanks. :P