Green River Fish

gwe106

So I went to a local fossil show over the weekend and picked up this guy since it was only $5. I figured I'd give prepping a shot and had a few questions. I've mainly just been using a needle to dig out some of the soft stone as a rotary was too much since the fossil is so brittle. So far it's worked out great andirons was awesome to see some teeth on this guy come out from the rock!

I'm not looking for any kind of "museum quality" necessarily, but the fossil has proven to be super fragile. Is there any technique anyone has used to help hold it all together? I've heard and read a bunch on here about various glues such as Elmer's but that it wasn't really recommended unless the fossil is wet (which clearly this isn't). It's just very brittle. And I know this is a fish (ha) but any thoughts on what kind?

Here are some of the progression pics.

post-1057-0-22329600-1393899091_thumb.jpg

post-1057-0-63677500-1393899137_thumb.jpg

What is the size of this skull?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It has the appearance of Phareodus. In regard to prep, there is not much more to be done. When you are satisfied, well, if it were mine, I would spray it with clear, matte acrylic. However this practice is not widely accepted, so you may wish to hear from others before proceeding.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I think that might be a skull of MIoplosus. The teeth look to be to small for Phareodus.

Edited by PRK

I think that might be a skull of MIoplosus. The teeth look to be to small for Phareodus.

I'm not sure about the tooth size as an indicator, but you may well be on the right path because of the "slope" of the forehead. The critter doesn't look as "deep" as I would expect from a Phareodus. However, the teeth are what put me in mind of that animal. Unfortunately, the Mioplosus I have is displaying no teeth and a cursory look at Grande's book didn't reveal any either.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

RE: consolodation; unless it is going to be handled a lot, hair spray will hold the bones in place without adding an unnatural shine.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We use a mixture of Elmer's glue and water to protect the Green River fish we collect and prepare from the split fish layers. It cuts out the chalky residue from the limestone and protects the bones. We use a ratio of 80 % H2O and 20% Elmer's, but use what ever works best for you. The Elmer's mixture also gets into the small unseen fractures and helps to solidify the plate. I'm not sure about what it means for the fish to be wet.

If you have the time you could also paint each individual bone with again your desired consistency of Vinac. Some purist say this ruins the integrity of the fish, but for me I'd rather have it last for my life time. Painting and fossil fish is a nasty term, you aren't really painting, but coating to preserve and Vinac is clear. When we use Vinac or super glue or even the Elmer's when dipping we always wear latex gloves.

When we ran one of the quarries one summer, we recommended hairspray as a quick fix for travel, however, be sure to hold the nozzle at least a foot away from the plate, otherwise the pressure from the can could blow the bones off the matrix.

Just a quick immersion of less than 30 seconds works best for us. I then prop the plate on edge on a piece of wax paper so it doesn't stick to another surface.

Jim

Old Dead Things

• I found this Informative 1

Like Jim said, but I found elmers to get 'sticky' on days where the humidity got high. Just a thought.

RB

Above I suggested that this fish resembled Phareodus; PRK offered Mioplosus as a better match. Indeed, as I reported, none of the photos of Mioplosus in "Paleontology of the Green River Formation, with a Review of the Fish Fauna" by Grande show teeth. The large specimen that I prepped some time ago is also not toothy. HOWEVER, the text of the Grande book states; "...its (Mioplosus) many pointed teeth...". Obviously this critter had teeth that might be visible. Also of interest to me was the fact that a couple of Mioplosis used as illustration by Grande display that "pouty lip" lower jaw tip that gwe106's specimen shows. So, as of this writing, I'm thinkin' PRK is more righter than I am. gwe106, go back and find the rest of that fish so we can be absolutely sure!

Hi snolly---here is my only Phareodus. It is a juvenile that I collected many many years ago, from the 18"layer in the Ulrich quarry. It had been quite shattered so I carefully packed up the pieces for the transport home. I took it home as a knightia and didn't know it was Phareodus until I pieced it together and prepared it

You can see why this fish is also known as the green river "piranha"

post-9950-0-25505300-1393978623_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-95979700-1393979281_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

PRK, great pictures. My only Phareodus is not as well preserved and the prep is poorly done (my second ever prep), the serious teeth are there, but not as well presented as your piece. Thanks for posting those shots.

While my knowledge of different fossil fish is very limited, I can see the similiarities between PRK's Phareodus and the one that I posted. The only thing is that the arch of the top of the head is much different from what I can tell.

Also, I've tried out the 80% water/20% glue mixture and soaked it for about 30 seconds. When I took it out there was a lot of fizzing going on from the center of the fossil, but I'm assuming that was just some type of reaction with the stone and it didn't seem to cause any kind of damage. As of now it's still drying so I'll update everyone on how it turns out!

Not the best photo of this not so good Mio, but you can easily see how the snout area resembles what gwe has.

RJB

post-171-0-24896100-1394035712_thumb.jpg

Not the best photo of this not so good Mio, but you can easily see how the snout area resembles what gwe has.

RJB

Yep, there's that droopy tipped lower jaw.

So I did a little bit of digging on the Mioplosus and it sounds like its an uncommon fossil in the Green River Formation, not rare by any means but still pretty cool. I know it's in pretty rough shape, but does anyone know if this is something worth selling?

I may re-post this to the fossil ID section to see if I can get some more input on what type of fish it is. =)

I use to sell a lot of the green river fish, but all the broken ones, pieces and such I would toss into a box and teachers usually bought the box for just a little money. For me it was a good way to make about 10 to 15 bucks and get rid of a lot of fossil stuff I didn't want.

It is a mioplosus.

Like RJB we put fish parts in a barrel and sell them for a couple of bucks a piece or give them to schools. Most of the time the parts end up in the drive way or if I am really bored I'll put together a frankenfish. Different combinations mio head, pharo body, diplo tail, what ever fits. Fortunately I'm not bored very often.

We grade our fish as "A" pristine, "B" missing tip of a tail or fin etc. "barrel" broken fish or imprints only and "driveway" limestone makes for good driveway gravel as it absorbs water and with enough makes a solid roadbed.

Jim

Old Dead Things