Bay Side Finds! Oh, It Got Me Again! Not This Time : )

Phoenixflood

Ok, so it's a odd title for a thread but you'll understand soon enough. I'm sure this has happened to just about everyone on here. You're going for what you think is a tooth and all of a sudden it turns out to be just a rock, or a pieve of glass, and yes, even the wet feather. Sometimes it's even wood. It makes me crazy how many times I go to pick something up and it's not a fossil. I've gotten better over the years and gained more knowlegde of what fossils are supposed to look like, but ever now and there I get the "Oh, it got me again! I've have stopped picking up the random pieces as much but you never know when that random leave may be something great. It todays' case it was a twig I saw under water that wasn't swaying right. I was going to pass by but I figured I'd give it a chance. Here's what it was. Help me id please. Also which end is up :D It measures about 3" :D

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

The next one I thought was a broken vert and was on my way back when something brought me back to give it a closer look. I'm not telling what I think it is but it would be great if it was :D

DSC01587.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01591.jpg

I also found this today!

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01584.jpg

A 2" pathological mako!

I also found a bunch of little things not worth posting :D

I'd say I had a pretty good day! B)B):D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Ok, so it's a odd title for a thread but you'll understand soon enough. I'm sure this has happened to just about everyone on here. You're going for what you think is a tooth and all of a sudden it turns out to be just a rock, or a pieve of glass, and yes, even the wet feather. Sometimes it's even wood. It makes me crazy how many times I go to pick something up and it's not a fossil. I've gotten better over the years and gained more knowlegde of what fossils are supposed to look like, but ever now and there I get the "Oh, it got me again! I've have stopped picking up the random pieces as much but you never know when that random leave may be something great. It todays' case it was a twig I saw under water that wasn't swaying right. I was going to pass by but I figured I'd give it a chance. Here's what it was. Help me id please. Also which end is up It measures about 3"

The next one I thought was a broken vert and was on my way back when something brought me back to give it a closer look. I'm not telling what I think it is but it would be great if it was

I also found this today!

A 2" pathological mako!

I also found a bunch of little things not worth posting

I'd say I had a pretty good day!

Nice mako tooth!

I'd say that the first, slender tooth is an Equus sp. horse incisor.

Do you suppose that the "broken vert" is the tip, the symphysis of a sea turtle mandible?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice mako tooth!

I'd say that the first, slender tooth is an Equus sp. horse incisor.

Do you suppose that the "broken vert" is the tip, the symphysis of a sea turtle mandible?

Yup, that's what I thought :D

At first I thought a had a whale tooth, then a small walrus tusk, then I looked at the top end and saw how worn and flat it was and said it has to be the font tooth of a horse.

Yeah! I thought it was a sea turtle beak! How cool it that! B)B):D

Yup, that's what I thought

At first I thought a had a whale tooth, then a small walrus tusk, then I looked at the top end and saw how worn and flat it was and said it has to be the font tooth of a horse.

Yeah! I thought it was a sea turtle beak! How cool it that! B)

It's very cool! Relatively little sea turtle material turns up (AFAIK) here in Florida. I think I have a toe bone from the Mio-Pliocene phosphate in Southcentral Florida and that's it.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Isn't there a bony fish with a beak like that? Bmore?

Guest bmorefossil
'Bmore' has a beak like that??? That explains a lot! :P

ha very funny Harry but no i dont, if i did i think Auspex would have stolen me and kept me as a pet bird or something

looks like you have a horse incisor, a ocean going sunfish jaw and a nice mako

That's what I thought...Ocean Sunfish...but I couldn't find any good pictures to back it up. Molidae

Guest bmorefossil
That's what I thought...Ocean Sunfish...but I couldn't find any good pictures to back it up. Molidae

ok brb with some pictures

Thanks all! :D Well, not a turtle but still a good find I would say. I would have never guessed sunfish :wacko::blink::D I couldn't believe the shape of that horse tooth and I got a pathological mako! Today was a good day :D

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks all! :D Well, not a turtle but still a good find I would say. I would have never guessed sunfish :wacko::blink::D I couldn't believe the shape of that horse tooth and I got a pathological mako! Today was a good day :D

yup pretty cool finds, i have maybe 20 sunfish jaws, and only 1 horse tooth so thats awsome

Yep, great finds! Hopefully I have that much luck when I go this week!

Yep, great finds! Hopefully I have that much luck when I go this week!

Yeah, good luck! :D

i dont get to go any more sniff sniff, no one takes me to the cliffs, now im all on my own

Next time I am up that way, I'll drop you a PM.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

i dont get to go any more sniff sniff, no one takes me to the cliffs, now im all on my own

You're welcome to go hunting with me sometime. We can check out that site you were talking about.

Guest bmorefossil
You're welcome to go hunting with me sometime. We can check out that site you were talking about.

whats wrong with the place you went! i would go there any time, sure ill take you to my other spot, need to get away going throught some bad times right now.

whats wrong with the place you went! i would go there any time, sure ill take you to my other spot, need to get away going throught some bad times right now.

Oh, nothing just you go to it all the time and I just came back from it. It was Brownies. Just name a time, pm me and we can work something out. You ok?

Guest bmorefossil
Oh, nothing just you go to it all the time and I just came back from it. It was Brownies. Just name a time, pm me and we can work something out. You ok?

if thats brownies then i go diving in a river! thats awsome man. No im not ok but thanks for asking, any week days after 9am ill go.

if thats brownies then i go diving in a river! thats awsome man. No im not ok but thanks for asking, any week days after 9am ill go.

Yup Time to dive buddy! The horse tooth was from the Willows though :D What about this Thursday? Give me a pm and we can discuss driving.