Finished Big Ole Leaf!

RJB

Its a piece of snarge, but now a rather nice piece of snarge! I had my tile saw out today, Buuuuurrrrrrrrrr!! I could only work about 10 minutes at a time before my fingers started to get numb, but I cut out that big ole leaf that was sittin on my table saw, then sanded and polished the edges doubling the value of this fossil. It really didnt take very long. I also squared up a hundred other little fossils and boy am I glad thats done!!! I think my fingers are still cold. Been at it most of the day starting out at 25 degrees and getting up to a balmy 40. WooooooHooooooooo!!!!!

RB

Guest Nicholas

Its gorgeous! Why haven't you posted any of your fossils for sale here? or have you? You have some specimens I would probably be very interested in.

Did you paint the edges of that slab, or is it just polished. If so could you tell how you get that shine?

BTW It looks great.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

hey! <lookin' squinty-eyed> whut you doin' trimmin' marjaweenie leaves in the cold, boy?! you in a heap o trouble!

so, like, is that tile from a pleistocene bathroom, or what?

Hey Nicholas. I did try and sell a nice fossil on here once but a big misunderstanding came about and I had Anson delete the intire page. I havent tried since, but almost everything I have is for sale. All I want is my super A-Grade fossils. I sell fossils to Europe every month and from time to time I sell a certain fossil here in the states. Becuase im getting soooooo much stuff I will also be selling in Quartzite in about 2 weeks and a show right here in Helena Montana this summer. I really dont care to do fossil shows, but its a good way to get rid of the stuff I dont want and helps to pay for more fossil trips to go and try to get some more A-Grade stuff? A hard thing to do. If you are interested in something, just PM me. Just keep in mind that I dont care to do the back and forth and back and forth thing and will tire of trying to sell something. Im funny that way.

RB

Its gorgeous! Why haven't you posted any of your fossils for sale here? or have you? You have some specimens I would probably be very interested in.

Did I paint the edges? Thats funny to me. I took the rock to my big sander and carefully smoothed out the edges and then tried my best to put a 45 on them. The rock is not flat and that makes it purdy tuff to get a nice strait 45. Then under the sink with some wet/dry sandpaper from 150 grit all the way to 400 grit, (this gets old real fast), and then took my Foredom with a little polishing wheel along with some crome ruge and WAAA LAAAA!!! PRESTO!!! No repairs, no paint, no fakery, no trickery no nothin!!! I shouldnt say that, I took some very watered down Glyptal and brushed out the leaf itself to seal it. I lost a tad bit of the carbon, but very very little. Now I can take it under the sink and wash it with soap and water if I wanted to and not have to worry about it.

RB

Did you paint the edges of that slab, or is it just polished. If so could you tell how you get that shine?

BTW It looks great.

You just have to ask, chances are he's got it stuffed away in there somewhere :D I've traded with RJB and purchased a fossil from him. He is a very fair seller and I would highly recommend him.

I still am working on that fish RJB. Just a little bit at a time :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Thanks Jimmy1971, but to me that leaf has major problems. Heck, if it didint have the stem, I would not have even brought it home.

And Phoenixflood, once you get past that 1000th fish you seem to speed up the prep process. I call it 'Speed Prepping'! Ha!!! I would like to see yours once it its done. Oh, there was another fish that I almost offered to you but thought to myself that it was just a tad better, but now that ive done some work on it, I find that the tail is completely gone!!! Im so glad I didnt sell you this one!!!

RB

Its a piece of snarge

If you feel that bad about it, send it over here!

And if that's a piece of snarge, what does that make my pitiful little fellas?

These sharks :shark: don't seem to like me enough to drop anything worth more than a few cents.. lol

Turok1copy.png

Hey FossilKid. I dont feel bad about it. I simply dont need it. Besides my really super good one, I also gave my wife a smaller one, but its sooooooo dang nice and perfect! and having so many fossils I can afford to be choosy. I dont anymore, but I used to do about 6 or 7 out of state fossil hunting trips each year. And 2 to 5 days a week while home in the winter time and being out of work, so I had to do something? What a nice hobby!

RB

If you feel that bad about it, send it over here!

And if that's a piece of snarge, what does that make my pitiful little fellas?

These sharks :shark: don't seem to like me enough to drop anything worth more than a few cents.. lol

post-171-1231945475_thumb.jpg