Some New Stuff Some Old, Most I Have Questions For.

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

Well first ill begin with these two bones, but have enamel on them, they are not worn. They are very new, I have seen this in fish but these do not look like fish, I have others that look the same.

post-17-1231881375_thumb.jpg

Next up is a fish fossil but im not sure what it is, I have worn ones but this one I dug out. On the one end there are 3 holes. Could this be where spines would be?

post-17-1231881535_thumb.jpg

Next is some of the more rare things I find from the cliffs, they are not Miocene, well im not sure but I have found crinoid stems and such in stones like this one. This one seems to have a tooth or something in it, I think you can find teeth like this in Texas not sure of the name but thats what it looks like to me. I only have 10 or so of these rocks most have intresting creatures on them if you want more pictures just ask.

post-17-1231881713_thumb.jpg

Ok here is an odd one, I thought broken bone at first but when I turned this thing over I find enamel on the inside, im clueless :P

post-17-1231881811_thumb.jpg

post-17-1231881841_thumb.jpg

Next is most likely just off of a vert or a common bone but it looked a little like a croc claw so I figured I would see what you guys think.

post-17-1231881922_thumb.jpg

post-17-1231881945_thumb.jpg

This is an odd little bone, its the right size for bird but its not hallow, one side there is a little hole but thats all.

post-17-1231882021_thumb.jpg

Then I figure I would add this picture to give you guys something little to look at.

post-17-1231882068_thumb.jpg

to make things easier to follow, maybe you should intersperse the pictures with the descriptions.

Well first ill begin with these two bones, but have enamel on them, they are not worn. They are very new, I have seen this in fish but these do not look like fish, I have others that look the same. Next up is a fish fossil but im not sure what it is, I have worn ones but this one I dug out. On the one end there are 3 holes. Could this be where spines would be? Next is some of the more rare things I find from the cliffs, they are not Miocene, well im not sure but I have found crinoid stems and such in stones like this one. This one seems to have a tooth or something in it, I think you can find teeth like this in Texas not sure of the name but thats what it looks like to me. I only have 10 or so of these rocks most have intresting creatures on them if you want more pictures just ask. Ok here is an odd one, I thought broken bone at first but when I turned this thing over I find enamel on the inside, im clueless :P Next is most likely just off of a vert or a common bone but it looked a little like a croc claw so I figured I would see what you guys think. This is an odd little bone, its the right size for bird but its not hallow, one side there is a little hole but thats all. Then I figure I would add this picture to give you guys something little to look at

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
to make things easier to follow, maybe you should intersperse the pictures with the descriptions.

yea i could but im so lazy...... :P one sec

happy!? lol

well, there's not much distinctive about the bones to tell what they are. i was unable to tell what any of them are, but on the one you said looked like it had enamel in the end, it actually looked like maybe an oyster spat, not enamel, so i do think that one's also a bone, not a tooth.

Guest bmorefossil
well, there's not much distinctive about the bones to tell what they are. i was unable to tell what any of them are, but on the one you said looked like it had enamel in the end, it actually looked like maybe an oyster spat, not enamel, so i do think that one's also a bone, not a tooth.

thats what i was thinking at first but the thing wont come off, so im pretty sure its enamel. Thats why I laughed when I saw that thing

i'm pretty confident that it's an oyster spat. enamel grows on dentin, not cancellous bone. all the little holes in the bone indicate that it isn't tooth material.

Guest bmorefossil
i'm pretty confident that it's an oyster spat. enamel grows on dentin, not cancellous bone. all the little holes in the bone indicate that it isn't tooth material.

the enamel seems to go up into the hole, so im thinking not a spat

Next is some of the more rare things I find from the cliffs, they are not Miocene, well im not sure but I have found crinoid stems and such in stones like this one. This one seems to have a tooth or something in it, I think you can find teeth like this in Texas not sure of the name but thats what it looks like to me. I only have 10 or so of these rocks most have intresting creatures on them if you want more pictures just ask.

More pictures please. I'm sure I won't know what it is. I just want to see what you're talking about. Plus you said we could ask. :P

i have to agree with tracer except that the main piece seems to be coral to me. somehow they got cemented or grew together

the enamel seems to go up into the hole, so im thinking not a spat

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
More pictures please. I'm sure I won't know what it is. I just want to see what you're talking about. Plus you said we could ask. :P

yep sure will, these rocks i think are 300 million years old or so, ill find them all and show you some of the really cool things that you can see, this is the only odd one, i took 15 pictures of this thing and this one is about the only one that came out ill try later. American Idol is still on

Guest bmorefossil
i have to agree with tracer except that the main piece seems to be coral to me. somehow they got cemented or grew together

coral really...... guys its not what im seeing, but i took all the pictures you would really need

i guess im the person reaching out for an id so thanks

You have some nice Giant threshers and Croc teeth Bmore!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
You have some nice Giant threshers and Croc teeth Bmore!

thanks and everything in that case except 2 or 3 croc teeth were found in the last 2 years

Guest bmorefossil

well im going to go with Tracer on the little thing, seems he has the only idea lol, i may not think its right but it makes sense, thanks Tracer

well im going to go with Tracer on the little thing, seems he has the only idea lol, i may not think its right but it makes sense, thanks Tracer

Oyster, I say yes. Bone or coral, can't really tell from here. My first impression was coral. Did you do the lick test for bone? :P

If it is bone, I would think that it is a bit worn for a positive ID. So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did an oyster spat attach itself to a piece of worn bone or coral, or did a coral attach itself to and swallow up an oyster, then die and get tumbled in the sand?

The lefthand spec' in the 1st pic looks very like this, though yours looks a little worn, Eocene Billfish/Swordfish rostrum. Quite a difference in age I know.

post-45-1231952891_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Oyster, I say yes. Bone or coral, can't really tell from here. My first impression was coral. Did you do the lick test for bone? :P

If it is bone, I would think that it is a bit worn for a positive ID. So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did an oyster spat attach itself to a piece of worn bone or coral, or did a coral attach itself to and swallow up an oyster, then die and get tumbled in the sand?

funny how often one is driving down a road, all happy, with the sun singing and the brids shining, humming an englebert humperdinck ditty, and failing to notice that that little front-end alignment issue is slowly pulling you off the road...

Guest bmorefossil

i wish you guys could see what oysters from around where i hunt end up looking like when you just poke them, there is nothing left of them. The bone is not worn, if it was worn it would be a brown to black color.

Guest bmorefossil
The lefthand spec' in the 1st pic looks very like this, though yours looks a little worn, Eocene Billfish/Swordfish rostrum. Quite a difference in age I know.

yours seems to be much more worn then mine, i guess its the picture, my rostrum has matrix still attached to it