What Rocks To Hit?

Dinosaurus

The ones where you can already see part of the ammonite. Cracking open every rock is a lot of work for no return, 99% will be empty.

You need to get familiar with the rocks and fossils in your area, and which ones contain fossils.

One of the best ways to do this is to join a local fossil or rockhounding club.

People with experience from your area will be more capable of answering this and other questions you might have.

Plus it is a good way to meet others with similar interests from your area.

And you may get access to places otherwise off limits to solo collectors. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep, look for fossils already exposed, then you can tell what layer to look for and what kind of sediments they occur in.

If you want a crash-coarse i would Google image search fossil concretions, fossilized mud balls, etc. But learning where to look is the first step. It's hard to find legal spots to crack fossils out of rocks. Research, research, research.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I assume you're from Dorset in the UK???

if so, this may be useful. All the major sites for ammonites (and other fossils) are covered in detail if you explore the links:

http://www.ukfossils.co.uk/dorset.htm

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]