Bird Fossils Need Id Please

Fossilcollector

Normally I'm an arthropod guy but every now and then birds happen to end up in my collection for one reason or another, usually trades.

So, here are two bird items that could use some ID, at least to the general type of bird it is (duck, hawk, sparrow, etc)

1) Large bird skull that came back from prep, it's real, no restoration except glue. Supposedly its an ostrich but I'm not a bird guy. Miocene in age.

2) Small bird skeleton from the Green River formation, what's neat about this piece is that it has a 3D breastbone.

All help is appreciated. Also, I'm willing to consider offers and trades since I'm more into things that are pre-eocene.

Take care,

YvW

post-1163-1231914661_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231914687_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231914746_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231914791_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231914871_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231914945_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231915038_thumb.jpg

Normally I'm an arthropod guy but every now and then birds happen to end up in my collection for one reason or another, usually trades.

So, here are two bird items that could use some ID, at least to the general type of bird it is (duck, hawk, sparrow, etc)

1) Large bird skull that came back from prep, it's real, no restoration except glue. Supposedly its an ostrich but I'm not a bird guy. Miocene in age.

2) Small bird skeleton from the Green River formation, what's neat about this piece is that it has a 3D breastbone.

All help is appreciated. Also, I'm willing to consider offers and trades since I'm more into things that are pre-eocene.

Take care,

YvW

Call Auspex; he`s your man! cool.gif

The Green River bird looks like Gallinuloides wyomingensis, a small "shorebird" from the early radiation of the order. The skull I need to work on.

Freaking wonderful fossils! (Relax, breathe slowly, send them to meeee).

post-423-1231944592_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
The Green River bird looks like Gallinuloides wyomingensis, a small "shorebird" from the early radiation of the order. The skull I need to work on.

hey did you hear that he is willing to trade (=

hey did you hear that he is willing to trade (=

I'll trade you bmorefossil for both pieces!

(Thanks bmore, you're a real pal :) )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

See! I say you that Auspex was your man! ;)

Here are two more pics to help with ID. Thanks for the help so far and thank you Auspex for the ID of the wyoming bird.

One is a top view, which may help with the skull shape.

Another is a close up from the side.

-YvW

PS: Oh, I'd trade for another saber tooth species for my collection, or maybe a couple of carboniferous insect wings. Something like that smile.gif.

post-1163-1231969336_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1231969437_thumb.jpg

i swear this skull looks alot like a seagull

For any of the larids, we'd see a very prominent supraorbital "groove" and a trough-like temporal fossa. Even if this skull is more deformed than it looks in the pics, those features aren't there.

So far, the most similar morphology I've found is Grebe (but I'm not done yet). :)

Update:
If it's Miocene, and if what remains of the mandibles exhibit the right stuff, I'm begining to lean toward Struthio asiaticus, an extinct ostrich.

How good is the provenance?

The provenance is very good, that I'm sure of. They did tell me they thought it was an ostrich skull when I originally got it, just needed a bit of prep work to clean off matrix from half of it.

I tried to match it up before but had difficulty finding ostrich skulls to look at.

-YvW

Guest bmorefossil
Update:
If it's Miocene, and if what remains of the mandibles exhibit the right stuff, I'm begining to lean toward Struthio asiaticus, an extinct ostrich.

How good is the provenance?

oh ostrich does look right