I Was Wondering About Saber Tooth Tiger Teeth?

megafever

Yes. Smildon gracilis is well known from Florida, and Smilodon fatalis is as well.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I Know that Smilodon gracilis Cope was found at the Port Kennedy site at Valley Forge Pa. A large variety of post Pliocene fossils were found in a fissure deposit in the late 1800's.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

S. gracilis was found at Port Kennedy Bone Cave.

Yes, they have. I have been working with the S.C. State Museum for several years on a site at the Giant Cement quarry in Harleyville, S.C. The site has not been worked for a few years, but there is still a lot more to be dug. Hopefully, the digging will resume soon. Here is a link to a web page that I wrote several years ago, and most of the information is still accurate. There are a number of thumbnails you can click on to see some of the fossils found there, including smilodon fatalis.

http://www.earthrelics.com/camelot.html

By the way, I found a carnaissial tooth from smilodon gracilis at a late Pliocene/early Pleistocene site near Summerville. It was the one and only gracilis fossil I have ever found in S.C.

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

i have a saber. but i received it over 20yrs ago as a gift from my fathers friend I don't recall where he went but i don't believe it was found on the east coast.

Saber_cat teeth are incredibly rare. In discussions with Richard Hulbert a couple of years back, he state that there have only been 16 documented finds of Smilodon material ever. That does not include private finds like the carnassial that PrehistoricFlorida has shown in a current TFF thread.

Here is a saber_cat incisor found recently in Florida by a TFF member. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/54043-cusps-serrations/

I can only imagine the value of an actual "Saber" in a private collection..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There are far more than 16 documented finds of Smilodon from Florida. I suspect what he said was that there are only 16 specimens of Smilodon fatalis, the Rancholabrean species - or he may have meant finds from 16 sites. Which is really quite a lot. When you add in Smilodon gracilis, then there are many specimens (Annalisa Berta described the sample from Leisey and other localities).. You'd also have to include Megatereon hesperus, as it is a Smilodontine as well - the earliest in North America, from the Palmetto Fauna. While sabertooth material is far from common in Florida compared to other critters, it is well known.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

There are far more than 16 documented finds of Smilodon from Florida. I suspect what he said was that there are only 16 specimens of Smilodon fatalis, the Rancholabrean species - or he may have meant finds from 16 sites. Which is really quite a lot. When you add in Smilodon gracilis, then there are many specimens (Annalisa Berta described the sample from Leisey and other localities).. You'd also have to include Megatereon hesperus, as it is a Smilodontine as well - the earliest in North America, from the Palmetto Fauna. While sabertooth material is far from common in Florida compared to other critters, it is well known.

Thanks for the correction, Rich. I also now believe that Richard was referring to 16 sites, not 16 finds.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"