Creek Beds In Southern Illinois

JoshuaPinkFloyd

• New Members

I've found some very interesting fossils just lying in the creek beds the past couple of days. Is there a better way to look for them than just looking on the edge of the water? Digging? Sifting? etc?

Also I was curious is to if their is a resource to types of common fossils to be found in creek beds in the Midwest so I can know what to keep an eye out for! Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The beauty of a creek is that it reveals and concentrates fossils for you. The down side is that they are no longer in their geologic context. You can trace their origins up stream and maybe find the strata they are eroding out from; if so, the specimens will usually be in better condition, and their context will be known.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

this was one of the nicest Beginners Fossil Guides I've seen - every state should have one this well illustrated, and it goes into detail about some area specific fossils :)

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/45048/guideforbeginnin04coll.pdf?sequence=2

post-4577-0-15564300-1395064670_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-25540500-1395064675_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-17300100-1395064678_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• New Members

Wow that guide is amazing! Kust the kind of info I was looking for! Thank you very much!