Lycopod Tree Fossil Rare Or Not

dinolucky

• New Members

what at first looked like just a really big rock with a snake scale pattern, that after checking it out, is lycopod tree fossils, big and small, going everywhere on every square inch. It's large, probably 300 ib or more. Like to here from someone who knows.. I haven't been able to find one in comparison, anywhere.

I'd like to see some pics to be able to comment.

Have you tried Google Images to see some other examples?

Hi Dinolucky! Do you have any pics of it? Do a search for search for images on lycopsids/lepidodendron.

Kentucky rock formations where these are found follow the Appalachians. Search Alabama, Nova Scotia (Canada) for fossil trees. That's a good start!

Not overly rare. They are fairly common fossils to find in Pennsylvanian (Carboniferous) aged deposits.

The rarity lies in the quality of preservation, and whether it is a 3 dimensional cast or just imprints.

And even then, they are not generally highly sought after.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lycopsid material is not rare. If it is a 300 pound piece of trunk, that would qualify as highly unusual, but if it is a 300 pound rock covered with impressions, it would be interesting but not extraordinary. There are some form-species that, if very well preserved, would be considered rare.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!