Cataloging Question

cincihunter

I have a large rock that contains a large conglomeration of different shells. My goal is to identify every one of these shells. My question is..... how can I develop a system to tell which shell is which after I identify it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Just another fossil hunter from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm a member of the Dry Dredgers. My real name is Adam if anyone's curious :)

maybe take a photo and label it with the fossil names on your computer, or with #'s on the photo and corresponding names on paper if it's to crowded! I don't know how to do that but if you check some posts on here you should be able to find out! Check some of Harry Pristis posts on photography, he's the king!

If I have a piece that has multiples. I number each specie beneath 1,2,3,etc. very small. Then on the back or bottom, describe each number.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Guest Nicholas
If I have a piece that has multiples. I number each specie beneath 1,2,3,etc. very small. Then on the back or bottom, describe each number.

I'm with bones, I have a small piece with a few different shells and if I were to get around to label it... I'd do the same.

Sounds like a winner to me! Thanks guys! Now I just have to finish prepping it before I get around to labeling......

Just another fossil hunter from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm a member of the Dry Dredgers. My real name is Adam if anyone's curious :)

maybe take a photo and label it with the fossil names on your computer, or with #'s and corresponding names!

I like this idea a lot. So much in fact that I plan on stealing it.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest solius symbiosus

I use a locality and acquisition number for my pieces, and then add letters if there are multiple fossils on one piece. Then in your notes, describe the fossil, e.g; 5- 21 then a, b, c,... ect.(site 5; 21st piece collected; fossil a, fossil b, fossil c,... ect.)

I have a large rock that contains a large conglomeration of different shells. My goal is to identify every one of these shells. My question is..... how can I develop a system to tell which shell is which after I identify it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Nice problem to have!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just hate writing on my fossils! but to each his own! :)

I use the, as Auspex so eloquently put it, the "Trinomial System"

That is, I use the first three letters of the Fossil Formation first, followed by the species number, followed by the individual fossil

As an example: Bah-1-001

Bah---- stands for the Bahia Inglesa Formation

1-------stands for the species of animal. In this case, Great White.

001-------- stands for the individual great white shark tooth.

And so, it would go on, Bah-1-002, Bah-1-003, Bah-1-004, etc, etc.

And the, Bah-2-001 is Isurus hastalis.

----------Bah-3-001 Odontaspis ferox.

etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps! :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Guest solius symbiosus
I just hate writing on my fossils! but to each his own! :)

How will you know what is what if you don't have some kind of reference. You might remember what it is, and where it was found for a while, but in 20 years???

If you keep good notes, and catologue properly, the fossils significance will be kept for prosperity. Otherwise, it is just a pretty rock.

• 2 weeks later...

One last thing - I agree pretty much with everything above - but the key is DO SOMETHING!! Just don't wander around without some type of system - whether it very complicated or just plain numbers; otherwise you end up with a garage/basement/room full of rocks and nothing to show for your work at collecting them.

My personal system - I keep a field book. Each time I go out, I note the locale (or locales), the date, time spent collecting, even the weather. I list who I was with, what formation we thought we were in and general notes on collecting that day. Nothing elaborate. The bottom of the page I list the fossils found that day. The system I use for numbering is the date in "yymmdd" format followed by a dash and three numbers starting with 001 (eg. 090130-001) I then try to identify the fossil at home and fill in the pertinent details so a completed entry looks like this- 090130-001 "Tylostoma sp" gastropod. Where I collect a multitude of fossils of the same type - Hemiaster echinoids for example - they all have the same number. I use "white out" typing mistake cover to paint a strip on the bottom of the fossil and use a black ink pen to put in the date and number - eg 090130-001. If the fossil is too small for a number, I put it in a plastic coin container, make a lable and affix it to the outside of the contailer. With that number on the fossil or container all I have to do in the future when I pick it up - whether it be tomorrow or 20 years from now (as some of my fossils are at least that old in my collection) - I just refer back to my field book and everything about that day - including that fossil comes back - even the weather!!

But regardless of what you choose - choose something and start - you can always modify, elaborate or change later but you can never go back in time and regather those memories.

Good luck

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when I catalog my fossils on a computer file I have one picture in it of the rock that the fosils in and then the second pic. is a picture of the one I'm talking about in the file. In here I've given you guys an attactment of an example of one of my finished computer files for a fossil.112108_CBSPC_NYMSCP.doc

Usually when I catalog my fossils on a computer file I have one picture in it of the rock that the fosils in and then the second pic. is a picture of the one I'm talking about in the file. In here I've given you guys an attactment of an example of one of my finished computer files for a fossil.112108_CBSPC_NYMSCP.doc

very nice! thats how I like to do it, cataloged but no writing on the fossil.