Crystal In Jurassic Reptile Fossil?

yzhang

Hello all,

I got a piece of marine reptile fossil from UK this spring break. It supposed to be a pliosaur jaw fragment from Krimmeridge clay (upper Jurassic), Portland Dorset, UK. There are some little pieces of crystal embedded in the bone, see photos attached. I knew crystallization is common for fossilized wood, but is this normal for bones? Or are those crystals embedded into the bone artificially? Though I can not see a reason why someone want to do that...

Thank you!

little pieces of crystals:

post-14501-0-36563600-1395462810_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-64411200-1395463173_thumb.jpg

Edited by yzhang

Quartz varieties are fairly common in a lot of rock types. These include crystalline quartz, agate, and chalcedony. I suspect that's what you're seeing here.

Calcite will also form crystals in voids (like the interior spaces of fossils), and is common in carbonate-bearing rocks, especially limestone. You can tell calcite from quartz by immersing it in a weak acid (like vinegar): calcite will effervesce (give off air bubbles), quartz won't. Just be aware that the bubbling (if it happens) is your rock slowly dissolving. A few hours probably won't change it that you can see, but you shouldn't repeat the experiment too many times. The vinegar bath won't hurt quartz.

There are other minerals that can infill fossils, but those two are the most common that I know of.

Nice piece!

Edited by Mediospirifer
  • I found this Informative 1

It's all natural, bones have small voids which fill with various minerals on fossilisation, nothing wrong with this piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Quartz varieties are fairly common in a lot of rock types. These include crystalline quartz, agate, and chalcedony. I suspect that's what you're seeing here.

Calcite will also form crystals in voids (like the interior spaces of fossils), and is common in carbonate-bearing rocks, especially limestone. You can tell calcite from quartz by immersing it in a weak acid (like vinegar): calcite will effervesce (give off air bubbles), quartz won't. Just be aware that the bubbling (if it happens) is your rock slowly dissolving. A few hours probably won't change it that you can see, but you shouldn't repeat the experiment too many times. The vinegar bath won't hurt quartz.

There are other minerals that can infill fossils, but those two are the most common that I know of.

Nice piece!

Mediospirifer: Thanks! I'll do the test and find out whether they are quartz or calcite.

-- Yzhang

It's all natural, bones have small voids which fill with various minerals on fossilisation, nothing wrong with this piece.

Taogan: Thanks! This makes a lot of sense as I also find little holes yet to be filled by minerals on that piece :-)

That's a fine piece..I've similar finds from the Lower Oxford Clay here.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/26535-fragmented-girdle-bone-2/

Regards,

Darren.

Darren: Thank you, the plesiosaurus bone you found looks great!

yeah, I have some nimravid bones where you can see the inside where the marrow used to be, and it's now filled with crystals. Pretty awesome, isn't it :)