Real Sarcosuchus Teeth?

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

I agree they do not look real.

The colour is not typical of sahara desert fossils at all.

Also look at the base picture, particularly the larger one on the right. The texture reminds me more of the base of a horn coral than a tooth.

It is also hard to tell Sarcosuchus teeth apart from those of the 'regular' crocodiles it shared its habitat with. The easiest way to tell is usually large size, but these are small enough to have come from regular crocs too so there is no guarantee it is Sarcosuchus.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Not teeth, but i will say that Niger fossils are much more varied in color than you more common Morrocan stuff. And yes they do come in black. But these are not croc teeth.

Edited by jpc

"Sold with certificate of authenticity" he says.

Guess certs from dubious Ebay sellers really isn't saying much.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

"Sold with certificate of authenticity" he says.

Guess certs from dubious Ebay sellers really isn't saying much.

NOTHING on the internet is certain.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, 'Certificates of Authenticity' on places like Ebay that are just made by the seller using Microsoft word mean absolutely nothing. It is only meaningful if it has been specifically looked at and signed off as authentic by an expert palaeontologist.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 1 month later...

Going to have to disagree here......

I have quite a collection of teeth from Niger and can tell you that these are almost 100% legit, the colour and preservation is spot on and I have purchased from this dealer before and they have a legitimate stock pile of fossils from the Elrhaz formation of Niger.

The 'horn coral' look that Paleoworld describes is due to these fossils being sand blasted by time as this location is mostly surface collected and not dug out of the ground (like in the Kem Kem beds).

The sand, while polishing the fossils also strips them of fine detail and many diagnostic features.

The only thing I will add is that these examples are so worn that they could belong to almost anything from that formation, maybe Stolokrosuchus which has fossils found alongside Sarcosuchus.

Stolokrosuchus was a smaller animal with smaller and thinner teeth.

Please post some photos of teeth you have acquired from the dealer. I've seen just a few teeth of a few different ages from Niger - always interesting to see more.

Going to have to disagree here......

I have quite a collection of teeth from Niger and can tell you that these are almost 100% legit, the colour and preservation is spot on and I have purchased from this dealer before and they have a legitimate stock pile of fossils from the Elrhaz formation of Niger.

The 'horn coral' look that Paleoworld describes is due to these fossils being sand blasted by time as this location is mostly surface collected and not dug out of the ground (like in the Kem Kem beds).

The sand, while polishing the fossils also strips them of fine detail and many diagnostic features.

The only thing I will add is that these examples are so worn that they could belong to almost anything from that formation, maybe Stolokrosuchus which has fossils found alongside Sarcosuchus.

Stolokrosuchus was a smaller animal with smaller and thinner teeth.