Tooth? Feels Like It Has Petrified.

Brandon24

Hi, I am a Comercial Roofer and we come along some interesting things when were are putting rock up on some of the roofs we do. one day I had found this tooth like thing. but i actually only found one piece. It was split in half so i went back in the area and ended up finding the other have to it. I am just curious on if its actually a tooth or something else. And if its a tooth what is it from?

post-14939-0-30810100-1396889342_thumb.jpg

That is a Bovine tooth. Sorry i can't be more help, but it's almost too hard to tell if it's a fossil from a pic.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Maybe you can do a bit of research and see what fossils are usually found around that area. It could be a Bos fossil tooth, but if Pleistocene fossils aren't usually found in that area it's probably an old Buffalo or Cow.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

That looks like a fish jaw to me, but i could be wrong....

~Charlie~

Your first one looks to be a bison tooth. If it was found in gravel, there's a good chance it is ice age. The coloring/preservation would make me lean towards that.

I believe your second one is a snake jaw.

Thank you guys for the help! Im not sure where the tooth would come from. The rock that we put on the roofs is I think more of the river rock type. But not positive. We usually have a lot of agots in with the rock so it might be rock from Lake Surperior.

Any Ideas on this?

Fish gill raker, me thinks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm going with fin spine most likely from a catfish of some kind.

(There you go three guesses to start from!!)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I see a snake jaw as well. How do you guys see a fish spine?

Enlarge the image, and you will see that the barbs are not teeth.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I see a snake jaw as well. How do you guys see a fish spine?

I don't see a catfish spine either. The texture isn't there and there isn't a joint on the end. It's a jaw of some sort. Fish (Northern Pike, Walleye, Musky)? Or Snake (Timber Rattler, Water snake, Rat snake)? Or maybe even a Lizard??

~Charlie~

Auspex your gill raker is an interesting concept!! I just looked up what they look like, and it is similar.

~Charlie~

• 2 weeks later...

I think Auspex is right on that one! Definitely not a Walleye, Pike or Musky jaw. I fish for all 3 of those fish. It could be a catfish fin spine but the species of catfish I catch at least don't have barbs running down the whole spine. Just a barbed tip.