Tennessees Pride

Okay, it has taken a bit of digging,but i found it. I'm 210% sure this is melt glass. My first specimen i ever found. Though i can't say what formation this came from, cause i found it in 2010 on a Native habitation site (Late Archaic) about 1/4 mi. west of my house. I knew as soon as i picked it up it was melt glass, because of all those strange white objects in it. Obsidian sometimes has inclusions like that, however, i've never saw any of a dull green color, & the closest mine from me has to be over 1,000 miles away. Also, i'm positive this isn't silica (flint), i've broke off a small chip to test it's hardness.....then bit down on it :)....it has a hardness of glass! You couldn't bite a piece of flint like that. It sounds like a very primitive test, but it works.

post-14571-0-98251000-1397341732_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-92754800-1397341782_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

This came out of a field about 300 yards behind my house....off a Middle Archaic Native habitation site. I was told by someone who saw it that they had found stuff like that before, & that when farmers lime their fields in spring, this stuff is sometimes in that powdered lime.....so, the explanation sounded good to me @ the time and i left it @ that. But now with all the other items being found........it makes me wonder....

post-14571-0-19185300-1397342374_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

This came out of a field about 300 yards behind my house....off a Middle Archaic Native habitation site. I was told by someone who saw it that they had found stuff like that before, & that when farmers lime their fields in spring, this stuff is sometimes in that powdered lime.....so, the explanation sounded good to me @ the time and i left it @ that. But now with all the other items being found........it makes me wonder....

That looks exactly like a piece of glass that has been tumbling around in a river (or on a beach). It has been ground down by harder material. I've found glass like this at beaches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

That looks exactly like a piece of glass that has been tumbling around in a river (or on a beach). It has been ground down by harder material. I've found glass like this at beaches.

JohnBrian you nailed that sir! It has to be that, specimens of rolled glass look just like that on the Sand Atlas website. Thank you for pointing it out, i may have never put that together cause it was recovered on top of a rather high hill in a field, miles from a river. There is a creek in the area, but that creek has never flooded and reached that high. If Natives didn't bring it there, i guess it worked itself out of the Cretaceous marine layers that underlie it.

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua