Calvert Cliff Question

Jdeutsch

I recently had the opportunity to go to Calvert Cliffs- We visited three beaches- Quite an interesting place.

There is a plethora of shell material - and my question is- how can you tell the ancient from the modern? It is quite easy if there is attached matrix- not so easy for an uninitiated person when finding an individual shell.

I suppose this question could be generalized to beaches around the world.

• 3 weeks later...

If there is enough of the shell to identify to species, someone knowledgeable about shells will be able to identify it and then determine the age based on that. A shell collector or paleontologist can distinguish between Miocene-Pleistocene forms though some species of the Pleistocene still live today. As a rule, a fossil shell lacks the color of a modern one and may have more of a phosphatic preservation - more of a dull, chalky composition rather than a fresh, shiny look - but you can't always go by that.

For many beach areas known for modern shell collecting, there is a published ID guide or a website. You can sometimes find a guide for local fossils too. You can always post photos of any questionable ones in the ID section of this forum.

I recently had the opportunity to go to Calvert Cliffs- We visited three beaches- Quite an interesting place.

There is a plethora of shell material - and my question is- how can you tell the ancient from the modern? It is quite easy if there is attached matrix- not so easy for an uninitiated person when finding an individual shell.

I suppose this question could be generalized to beaches around the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to The Fossil Guy site on the Calvert cliffs and surrounding area that may be able to help.

Link

"Life will find a way"-Ian Malcolm