Maps

Boogra

Someone mentioned to me that I should get a map of Mississippi showing the Cretaceous period areas. Where would I find such a map if it exists? Is there a good way to find areas for fossil hunting besides this? Do you guys like to walk creeks, dig areas, walk trails? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of mountains and cliffs here, so most of the area is pretty flat.

Guest N.AL.hunter

yes, that is a picture of classic cretaceous exposure. You'll want to look for erosion areas like that pictured and also creeks shallow enough to walk in. Road cut and railroad cuts are also good spots to check out. To give you a more exact location, besides 20 mile creek near Frankstown that I mentioned earlier.... there is a truck stop on the east side of Meridian Miss., right as I-20 comes into town. If you park there and go up into the woods on the little hill between I-20 and the truckstop, you'll find where people dig for cretaceous teeth in an orange sand. It requires a lot of digging and is not an easy spot, but the fossils are preserved really nicely. While you are out driving around, pay attention to areas of white to gray exposure that appear to have small pieces of rock scattered on them. Once you get out of the car, you'll see that a lot of it will be oyster shells. Exogyra and Graphea mostly, but it is a signal that you are in the correct area for cretaceous fossils.

yes, that is a picture of classic cretaceous exposure. You'll want to look for erosion areas like that pictured and also creeks shallow enough to walk in. Road cut and railroad cuts are also good spots to check out. To give you a more exact location, besides 20 mile creek near Frankstown that I mentioned earlier.... there is a truck stop on the east side of Meridian Miss., right as I-20 comes into town. If you park there and go up into the woods on the little hill between I-20 and the truckstop, you'll find where people dig for cretaceous teeth in an orange sand. It requires a lot of digging and is not an easy spot, but the fossils are preserved really nicely. While you are out driving around, pay attention to areas of white to gray exposure that appear to have small pieces of rock scattered on them. Once you get out of the car, you'll see that a lot of it will be oyster shells. Exogyra and Graphea mostly, but it is a signal that you are in the correct area for cretaceous fossils.

Would you be interested in meeting up somewhere sometime? I'm down for a road trip.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Sure, but let's let the weather warm up a bit first. How far a you able to drive if need be? For me it will be a minimum of three to four hours driving for us to connect up.