Nacreous Pliocene Gastropod Id...?

Fossil Magnet

Hi all!

I collected these two from the Coralline Crag in southeast England, and have been unable to find out what they are. I assume they're quite rare, as none of the UK Coralline Crag experts on UK forums seem to know what exactly they are... It's obviously some species of Calliostoma, but any idea which...? Perhaps you have this one in the US too...?

Any help or advice would be thoroughly appreciated!! :)

[specimen height is about 3.7 cm]

post-1215-1232333826_thumb.jpg

post-1215-1232333842_thumb.jpg

Many thanks!

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

it looks like Calliostoma Granulatum (a still living form) quite frequent during Pliocene and Pleistocene , or a eroded away C. Subexcavatum (extinct during Pleistocene) .I`ve got some Granulatum, aswell.Try to post a pic in which I could see the overture.

And wellcome to the forum!

Hi Gethin,

The following can be found at Walton,

C. subexcavata (Wood), C. simile (J. Sowerby), C. zizyphinum (Linnaeus), C. kickxii (Nyst). C. noduliferens (Wood) can also be found there.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Thanks guys!!

Moropus... Thanks for the info! I tried to take a few more pics today, but it's been really stormy and overcast, so the light is really snarge. Will try again tomorrow... :)

Bill... Likewise, thanks for the info! I never knew you could find so many different Calliostoma at Walton... However, this one is from Ramsholt, and definitely from the Coralline Crag rather than the Red Crag. They were collected loose along the foreshore, I'll admit, and you yourself know from experience that it can get a little confusing there what with the way the four main strata outcrop along the foreshore... On the same day I found these two, I also saw a big old lump of that oyster/Balanus concavus-rich Corraline Crag matrix with the perfect matching impression of one of these on it. Does that help you narrow it down at all, or perhaps confirm what Moropus was suggesting...? :) I'd love to know what you think. I know only too well from other forums that you are a man who know his Crag fossils well...

If either of you two, or anyone else, could post pics of your Calliostoma on here, it would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks!

Gethin

There I go again, misreading posts.

Actually Gethin, I only know what I do, about them, because of Chris Newman, a member of this forum. I think he would be the one to ask.

KOF, Bill.

Hi Gethin,

The following can be found at Walton,

C. subexcavata (Wood), C. simile (J. Sowerby), C. zizyphinum (Linnaeus), C. kickxii (Nyst). C. noduliferens (Wood) can also be found there.

Yes, of course; but I discarted some of them because of the heavy ornamentation of the shell.Aswell, my only references, are some shells I`ve got, and the spanish literature, from the Mediterranean area (although with Atlantic influx).

Hi Moropus,

I misread the post anyway and thought Gethin was talking about Red Crag, but he was talking about Coralline Crag.

KOF, Bill.

Hi Bill,

Calliostoma from the Coralline Crag are a bit of a gray area, it is usually considered they are C. subexcavata (Wood). However, I have collected some specimens from Ramsholt that more closely aligned to C. zizyphinum (Linnaeus).

There I go again, misreading posts.

Actually Gethin, I only know what I do, about them, because of Chris Newman, a member of this forum. I think he would be the one to ask.

Not much help I know Bill, gets worse in the Red Crag as you have Gibbula as well as Calliostoma – possibly some Trochus as well. As far as I have seen there is only one species in the Coralline Crag, Calliostoma zizphinum being the most likely species.

Thank you Moropus, Bill, and Chris... :)

You've all been far more help than any of you probably realise. I looked up Calliostoma zizyphinum on the internet and found numerous pictures of modern examples that bear a striking similarity to the ones I have above, so it seems like zizyphinum is a pretty likely candidate...

Thanks for all your help!! Much appreciated...

Gethin