Ordovician Inverts

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I checked on the outcrop that has been producing the Pychnocrinus sp. yesterday for the first time in a few months. It was mostly a dry run, as I only retrieved a couple of pieces. Most of the stuff was the common junk found, so it was left in the field.

The outcrop. Notice the contact from the limes and shales to clastic shallow water deposits. The clastics show x-bedding in part(not shown) indicating near shore wave action.

post-179-1232370463_thumb.jpg

A somewhat large negative of an Ambonychiid

post-179-1232369544_thumb.jpg

Some worm trails on a hard ground.

post-179-1232369561_thumb.jpg

The jaw of the critter that probably made the trails. Arabellties sp.

post-179-1232369578_thumb.jpg

A trepostomate bryozoan colony

post-179-1232369601_thumb.jpg

Rhynchonellid brachiopods

post-179-1232369621_thumb.jpgpost-179-1232370040_thumb.jpg

The bryozoan Constellaria and a stropheminid brach

post-179-1232370163_thumb.jpgpost-179-1232370181_thumb.jpg

Orange color in stone composed almost entirely of microscopic proto-gastropods, and Hyolithes.

post-179-1232370282_thumb.jpg

A crinoid holdfast(one of the only pieces brought home)

post-179-1232370538_thumb.jpg

More trepostomates

post-179-1232370659_thumb.jpg

A strophemenid brach(notice scars from hexactinellid sponge)

post-179-1232370729_thumb.jpg

Someone lost their sun glasses

post-179-1232370854_thumb.jpg

A somewhat large head of the tabulate Tetradium sp.

post-179-1232370915_thumb.jpg

Close up of corallites

post-179-1232371046_thumb.jpg

A large sponge(stromotoporoid)

post-179-1232371101_thumb.jpg

and a small one

post-179-1232371135_thumb.jpg

Ventral side of pygidium Gravicalymene sp.

post-179-1232371167_thumb.jpg

I brought home, along with the holdfast, a couple of pieces of arms from the crinoids I've been pulling from the outcrop, but they aren't much to look at. Hopefully, one is complete, but hiding under matrix. If anything there, after prep, I'll post it.

Guest Nicholas

Nice finds! I would have taken pretty well all of it, those tiny jaw sections have me particularly interested. Do you find many?

I cant seem to find any info on Arabellties..

Guest solius symbiosus

They are fairly common in some beds, but they can only be seen with magnification. I usually only find them associated with near shore deposits, usually on a hardground.

Guest Nicholas
They are fairly common in some beds, but they can only be seen with magnification. I usually only find them associated with near shore deposits, usually on a hardground.

Very cool, I searched them out more specifically when I was in IN. They were supposed to be all over, from what I heard but I found none.

Hey solius. Most of that tuff doesnt interest me, but that worm jaw is purty dang cool. Im wondering though, how in heck do you even find somethng that small? Noway I could have found it! Nice sunglasses too.

RB

Fascinating! Makes me want to branch out into the TBB (time before birds) :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

^^ Binocular microscope. They are found in the same bed in which the crinoids are found at this location. I'm thinking that it was a small lagoon or inlet. The beds above and below are near shore clastics with the limey/clayey bed sandwiched between. The bed is only about 10cm thick, and 10 or 12 feet laterally... like it was a channel or something.

The sea is regressing from the area(sea-level drop or uplift???) during this time, and then later, it transgressed. The rocks were deposited during the closing stages of the Taconic orogeny when the island arc was being "pushed" onto Laurentia. The stratigraphy is pretty screwed up around here because of that.

Guest solius symbiosus

This is a photo of the bed. As you can see, it pinches out in both directions. To the right, just beyond the edge of the photo, it pinches to nothing.

post-179-1232383620_thumb.jpg

Really nice field trip, love the snow and worm tooth, and who needs sun glasses in a snow storm

Do you find this type of worm teeth in the upper mississippian too?

Guest solius symbiosus
I cant seem to find any info on Arabellties..

http://scolecodonts.net/search.php?f_genus...wpg=0&fsql=

Cool stuff. I have got to get up there this year.

Send me a PM when you make the trip. I've been wanting to hit that massive outcrop on the road to Owenton. Other than the usual stuff, I've heard reports of some nice crinoids being pulled from some of the upper terraces, and the second exposure on the left. Have you ever collected there?

post-179-1232468430_thumb.jpg

Do you find this type of worm teeth in the upper mississippian too?

It has been years since I collected the Miss. rocks, but I have been meaning to make a trip soon. They are found in the rocks, but all of my Miss stuff is in storage, and I didn't check it for scolecodonts before it was packed away.

Send me a PM when you make the trip. I've been wanting to hit that massive outcrop on the road to Owenton. Other than the usual stuff, I've heard reports of some nice crinoids being pulled from some of the upper terraces, and the second exposure on the left. Have you ever collected there?

I will. I stopped by one of those a few years back when they were fairly new. I think it was one a little further on out on the road. Too fresh, not eroded enough at the time. I do remember taking some kind of gastropod. Don't remember what else. There was some of the typical Ordovician stuff. I've got a lot of stuff in boxes I'm going to have to dig out.

I will. I stopped by one of those a few years back when they were fairly new. I think it was one a little further on out on the road. Too fresh, not eroded enough at the time. I do remember taking some kind of gastropod. Don't remember what else. There was some of the typical Ordovician stuff. I've got a lot of stuff in boxes I'm going to have to dig out.

Cool!! i hope you got ya a crinoid head:D

• 3 months later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I stopped by the same outcrop again yesterday; it was the first time in a while. I have pretty much exhausted the bed that produces the Pychnocrinus, unless I start quarrying.

I still manage to pull a few small pieces out. I usually set them on a ledge and let the rain clean the mud off, and then check them on the next trip.

When I checked the ledge, this one was sitting there. There were also 4 other partials; one of which shows promise. I'll post some more pics when I prep these things... if I can ever find the time.

Height of pic about 7cm

post-179-1240713964_thumb.jpg

Some pinnules, and a stem. There might be something there.

post-179-1240714114_thumb.jpg

I noticed you said "common junk" in the first post does that mean stuff you have too many pieces of to bother taking or unidentifiable stuffs?