Petrified Wood

Boogra

Does anyone know of a decent source of petrified wood that someone can actually collect without going to jail...or reasonably expect not to get caught?

Guest bmorefossil
Does anyone know of a decent source of petrified wood that someone can actually collect without going to jail...or reasonably expect not to get caught?

lol no sorry i dont but I think they are going to dig some up over in Delaware

I know a spot in PA, but thats probably far from you

I notice you post from Mississippi. Here is Southeast Missouri, we find petrified wood in a couple of deposits, which should extend down into parts of Mississippi. Most of the petrified wood in this area is Cretaceous, and comes out of the McNairy sandstone. The other deposit that has the petrified wood is the Wilcox formation, (Eocene) specifically the Holly Springs sandstone. Both deposits also have clay lenses where you can find carbon films of leaves. I have found chunks of wood greater then 4 feet long, and have heard of others that weighed so much they couldn't be moved.

Look on a geologic map, find an area near you with outcrops, and walk the creeks. Look for creeks with sandstone float.

Good Luck

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

The Mississippi Petrified Forest is in Flora. Find out what formation those are in and look on the geologic maps for the area. You can probably find somewhere around there in that same formation in a creek, ravine, underpass, road or rail cut, to find some wood.