Fish Vertebrae Xiphactinus

Mike Owens

This is one of several vertebrae I need to get identified. My thinking is shark. It looks a lot like one in Chris' post about the shark show. What say ye shark collectors? All I know for sure is -- it's Cretaceous. The white is matrix that needs to be removed. The four side shots are 90 deg turns. Then shots of both ends.

Thanks,

Mike

post-15-1197898563_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197898604_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197898684_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197898724_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197898761_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197898800_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Mike -

def not a shark. That one is near and dear to my heart....it's a Xiphactinus.

Thanks! Maybe the rest will be the same. Here's #2

post-15-1197903091_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197903137_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197903195_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197903237_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197903270_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197903303_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

This looks a lot like the vertebrae I found from a Xaphactinus audax (spelling?) in Alabama's cretaceous sediments. AKA the cretaceous bulldog fish or cretaceous tarpon.

Here's two more (6 views each) of what might be the same -- Portheus molossus.

post-15-1197953535_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953577_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953624_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953664_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953704_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953741_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953807_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953841_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953876_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953919_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197953964_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197954000_thumb.jpg

Here's two more (6 views each) of what might be the same -- Portheus molossus.

Those are Xiphactinus as well. For what it's worth, Portheus molossus is no longer used. Xiphactinus was in the books a couple of months before Portheus. Even though there are a lot of specimens with a Portheus name tag, "Xiphactinus" is the correct Latin name.

Those are Xiphactinus as well. For what it's worth, Portheus molossus is no longer used. Xiphactinus was in the books a couple of months before Portheus. Even though there are a lot of specimens with a Portheus name tag, "Xiphactinus" is the correct Latin name.

Even though Xiphactinus is correct, back in the '70's all the paleontologist I dealt with were still calling it Portheus, so that's how I learned. I'm sure by now that has changed. I usually use both. I want to thank you for your help & here's the last ones for awhile. Are these teeth & jaw section also Xiphactinus? I had papers at one time identifying most of my specimens, but can't fine them. I don't trust my memory, in some cases, anymore so this is why all the questions. :)

post-15-1197996882_thumb.jpg

post-15-1197996927_thumb.jpg

Even though Xiphactinus is correct, back in the '70's all the paleontologist I dealt with were still calling it Portheus, so that's how I learned. I'm sure by now that has changed. I usually use both. I want to thank you for your help & here's the last ones for awhile. Are these teeth & jaw section also Xiphactinus? I had papers at one time identifying most of my specimens, but can't fine them. I don't trust my memory, in some cases, anymore so this is why all the questions. :)

The teeth are Xiphactinus. I don't think the jaw section is. X-fish teeth are more irregular in size -- bigger in the front smaller towards the back of the jaw. My best bet is Pachyrhizodus. They had regular sized, heavy teeth. Very cool finds!

This should be a lesson for all young collectors. Label your specimens, keep notes. Number them with a numbered entry into a log book.

This problem has happened to me a few times. I think. "I'll never forget what the fossil is or where it was collected." But it does happen if you don't have good habits in making labels.

Later, when you're no longer the caretaker for the fossil, without data it is merely a curio. No museum will have it without collecting data. Or, if a museum does accept it from your children or grandchildren, the fossils with no data are sent to the interpretive department or they a put into the trash.

So, protect your investment of resources in your collection. Put labels on everything.

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

This should be a lesson for all young collectors. Label your specimens, keep notes. Number them with a numbered entry into a log book.

This problem has happened to me a few times. I think. "I'll never forget what the fossil is or where it was collected." But it does happen if you don't have good habits in making labels.

Later, when you're no longer the caretaker for the fossil, without data it is merely a curio. No museum will have it without collecting data. Or, if a museum does accept it from your children or grandchildren, the fossils with no data are sent to the interpretive department or they a put into the trash.

So, protect your investment of resources in your collection. Put labels on everything.

---------Harry Pristis

Let's hear an AMEN to that! :Thumbs-up: When you get my age you would forget your own lower posterior if it wasn't attached to you. :ahah3: