Tips On Buying Fossils In Morocco

ChiefPosey

• New Members

I'll be leaving on a trilobite buying trip to Morocco on May 6th and could use a couple of tips.

1. I plan on buying fossils directly from the preppers in Erfoud at the weekly souk (market place) where diggers, preppers, and wholesalers meet to exchange. I'll buy some un-prepped fossils from diggers, but mostely prepped fossils from preppers. Any idea what I should be prepare to pay? My guess is that I should be able to buy for 1/3 price of what wholesalers sell them for, which is about 1/2 of the Ebay price. I know that price varies based on prep quality, presence of "spines", and rarity of trilobite, but am assuming completed Ebay prices will give me a fair idea.

2. Does anyone know of any reputable wholesalers in Morroco? I'll be in Casablance, Merekeck and Erfoud and would like to establish a personal relationship with them.

3. I am knowledgable in spotting fakes but don't expect a big problem in Erfoud. The introduction of modern prepping equipment has made fake production much less profitable. If a prepper sells a fake to a wholesaler, he risks being caught and blackballed and have his family starve. The number of Moroccan wholesalers is relatively limited and they comunicate amoung each other. Anyone know to the contrary?

4. Anyone familiar with the export restrictions for non Moroccan individuals from Morocco? I've been able to find out a nebulous "dozens" and am going to contact TSA and UPS. Anyone know about the restrictions or experience in this?

I can't help you with any of this but I hope you are selective about the quality of the prep jobs.. So much of it looks like it was done with a nail, and then the retailers (if you buy online) often don't provide good enough photos to tell this.

I think you should talk to Malek, he is a reputable dealer and TFF member. Some of your assumptions might be incorrect.

• New Members

How do I find Malek's ID on TFF? I searched members and he didn't come up.

How do I find Malek's ID on TFF? I searched members and he didn't come up.

M.Youssef

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!