Paleo-Poxy

jgcox

Does anyone have experience using Paleo-Poxy to repair or add missing pieces to a fossil? My question is once I have formed it to shape and it hardens how do you paint it to match the fossil? What type of paint do you use?

I don't know about Paleo-poxy exactly but I've used Magic-sculpt (which I'd imagine is similar)

Here are some links to my work with Magic-sculpt:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44156-first-use-of-magic-sculpt/?hl=xiphactinus

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45234-prep-poll-xiphactinus-jaws/page-2?hl=xiphactinus

I just used acrylic paints for the coloring and put the same kind of glue on the reconstructed teeth to make them look similar.

Hope this helps

-Kris

Thanks Kris I have a few trilobites unprepped from Morocco that are missing small chips where the stone was glued together when found.

I use Paleo Sculp and cheapo Walmart acrylic paint.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'll soon be finishing up a crab with epoxy putty reconstruction of one of the claws. Will show step by step pics.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

A number of the epoxies on the market will work. Check the working times and final color when dry. Look for a lighter color and you can add tints to the base to bring it close to the final color to make it easier to paint. For paints enamels work well and some automotive paints as well, some are even UV curing and set up nice and strong. The advantage to UV cured paints is working time and instant dry when exposed to the lights. Look at UV cured fingernail paints for example.

Edited by MarqusandDad