Mazon Creek Tips

JenK

• New Members

Going on our 1st fossil hunt this Friday to Mazon Creek , in Illinois...........I have read about the bug/tick problem........but can anyone give me some more tips? taking my little woman (who LOVE, LOVE, LOVES dinosaurs) it will be educational and FUN!!! I'm SUPER EXCITED TOO!! any advice is very much appreciated!!! please and thank you!!!

Hi Jen,

I've gone to Mazon Creek a few times last year and this year. I'll give a few pointers that I've discovered.

I assume you are going to the State Park area. You are supposed to print out and sign a form at their website. Park rangers have never asked me for one but they always might ask. The location that I have had the most luck is the far South Unit of the State Park by Monster Lake.

A good amount of hiking is involved on trails and then off trails to get where people haven't already collected. Everything is overgrown so crawling under shrubs and trees is usually necessary. Under the shrubbery on a steep hill, you can often find nodules congregated around stumps or trees.

Ticks are definitely out and about. I soaked myself pretty thoroughly in 'backwoods off' and I think that kept them off me. Definitely do check under armpits and elsewhere after your hike.

Also for background on the fossils..... the State Park is the "Essex Biota" of Mazon Creek area which means it will have a bot more marine animals. However, it does have a good share of fern leaves and other things that were washed down from the more terrestrial lands to the north. The most common fossil that one finds in the jellyfish (Essexella asherae). Most jellyfish won't look like much of anything but a blob or bumpy surface.

One other option for Mazon Creek fossils is the Fossil Rock Recreation Area. Here's their website.

I've never been to Fossil Rock Recreation Area, but it is located in what people refer to as the "Braidwood Biota". It would contain more fossil ferns and plants and freshwater creatures as opposed to the state park which is in the "Essex Biota" which is a bit more marine.I understand that Fossil Rock charges a $5 fee for fossil collecting. Kids under 5 might be free. I bring this option up simply because I think one might find a lot more 'recognizable fossils' (ie Ferns) in the "Braidwood Biota".

• I found this Informative 1

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Just sent you via message a little map that might be helpful.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

+1 to neophytus

here's the trip report from when we went several years ago:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/7990-mazon-creek/

Ticks weren't too much of a problem for us, but the chiggers were terrible. A good way to fight ticks is to soak your pants with permethrin spray (don't put it on your skin - it doesn't adhere and won't do any good.) It takes about 8 (+-) seconds for a tick to start crawling across a field of pemethrin treated fabric before they curl up and fall off. It's really cool to watch and I don't feel one bit sorry for them...

Edited by John K

Hi Jen,

As Neophytus said, the Mazonia Braidwood Wildlife area is heavily collected and the best chance you will have is to get off the beaten path. If you are going to bring kids, just be prepared to be hiking through some very thick brush over rough terrain.

I was actually out there collecting this morning and there has been a lot of rain so you should have a good chance of finding some freshly exposed nodules. I spent a little over 3 hours collecting and came back with some nice looking rocks and several plants and animals that had already split open (including a really big/nice Tully Monster!

If the terrain is too rough for your daughter, the campground that Neophytus mentioned might be a better option. There is an entrance fee but you can collect on more level ground. The best way to collect at the campground is to dig (allowed) and you will definitely find some fossil plants if you spend a few hours.

I have not been there in years but I think most people collect at the back end of the campground. I am sure you will see areas where others have been prospecting. You can also keep your eyes open for Morel mushrooms.

Good luck!