Can Anyone Explain Nodules To Me?

roberts_jesse

I'm really new to this and was wondering if anyone can explain what nodules are and how I can find them and identify that they are them? It seems like something that could be very interesting if I can find them and open some. Thank you for any help!

Nodules are basically rounded rocks that formed that way in sedimentary layers. The best places to look for them would be in a pile of broken-up shale that was dug out of the ground, or a similar situation.

Don't confuse beach or river cobbles with nodules. Those have been tumbled by water into a round shape. Also, if you find a rounded rock, look for horizontal layering to identify something sedimentary from a granite cobble. Sedimentary blocks are most likely to split into flat plates when tumbled in a beach or river environment.

I'm new to cracking nodules myself, but I'm working on a box of Mazon Creek nodules I bought from a Fossil Forum member, and I have a thread showing some of what I've found so far. Forum member Jim Fairchild posted a good PDF detailing how to split Mazon nodules, which is probably applicable to nodules from other sources. LINK

Good luck! :D

• I found this Informative 1

Not all sedimentary nodules will necessarily display layering, but they all originate in sedimentary rock.