Ordovician/silurian Id Books

Pumpkinhead

I posted this in fossil literature, but nobody answered so I figured Id try the next most relevant forum option. I'm looking to buy some fossil ID books, as I want to learn how to identify my fossils self sufficiently. I mostly collect from the Ordovician and Silurian periods, so books pertaining to those time periods would be the most logical option. If anybody knows of any good book titles or any other resource related to the kinds of fossils I collect please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi there. I don't collect much in deposits from either of those periods so my literature on those periods is lacking. The one book I know has some fossils shown from this period is a book called, "Fossils of Ohio". It is bulletin #70 from the Ohio Department of Geology. Not sure if that will help you or not, but it is a shot.

Start with this link for Ordovician fossil ID book: http://www.eagle.ca/~ontariofossils/%C2'>

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I have spent a lot of money on books trying to ID my fossils myself. Bottom line with the odd stuff is that it usually doesn't work and you are better off posting it in the ID forum. That said...

The best advice on the one book I should buy that I ever got was:

Index Fossils of North America

Shimer and Shrock

Used with shipping, I paid almost $100 for it. However, I have much more than that in the many smaller, less expensive books. If you buy only one fossil book, this would be it.

That said, the Ordovician and Silurian are worldwide environments. I would just so love an Ordovician ID book and haven't found one yet. I'm actually working on an Ordovician ebook for southeast Minnesota for IDing fossils.

My website and blog is dedicated to the Ordovician of southeast Minnesota. The blog is where all the action is. I am trying to compile posts for IDing what you find, at least in a broad sense, not to the species level. I have also created a little ID sheet of the most frequently found fossils here. I'm adding and learning as I go. :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Hi there. I don't collect much in deposits from either of those periods so my literature on those periods is lacking. The one book I know has some fossils shown from this period is a book called, "Fossils of Ohio". It is bulletin #70 from the Ohio Department of Geology. Not sure if that will help you or not, but it is a shot.

Ditto

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

try these two sites: Cincinnatian Fossils and Stratigraphy and the Dry Dredgers. We have links to them above in the Educational links section

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Thank you all very much. This is very helpful.

The issue I am facing has to do with a lack of basic knowledge when it comes to identifying specific species names. For example, I can look at a bryozoan and know that it is a bryozoan, but not be able to give it a more detailed specimen title. It's like looking at a dog and being unable to identify it as anything more than that, such as a golden retriever or a border collie. I need this general knowledge to be able to classify and organize my collection, and the information you have all brought me is very helpful. Thanks again.

As a sidenote,if any of you find a book having specifically to do with the Ordovician period like bev mentioned please do not hesitate to tell me.

Here is the link to the book Fossils of Ohio: http://www.ohiogeologystore.com/browse.cfm/fossils-of-ohio/4,2.html

$30 plus $8 shipping. Interesting website. :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Some good visual ID and info can be had at- http://www.eagle.ca/~ontariofossils/

Glad you posted that link because Mine didn't show up for the same site!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

the nice thing about the Fossils of Ohio book is it's a pretty good basic paleo primer also.

Herb, I did order the book - thank you!

Pumpkinhead, here is the sheet that I created for Ordovician fossils that I am finding here in southeast Minnesota. A number of the drawings are from the "Index Fossils of North America".

post-9628-0-86806400-1399484963_thumb.jpg

The pdf of this is located here: http://www.bluffcountryfossils.net/blog/bluffcountryfossils-ordovician-id-sheet/

Might help a little. :)

Just because the Ordovician is worldwide does not mean that all the critters are in all places. In fact, it seems that finding an Ordovician fossil of a species already recognized but not before found in a certain formation can be a significant find. These are what I am commonly finding here in the Galena Formation.

I would love to create ID sheets for say, cephalopods, bryozoans, brachipods, etc. that are commonly found here. But I really don't know enough and with Caleb gone, well... I'm pretty lost.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Wow, that was FAST! I ordered the Fossils of Ohio book on what the 6th, and it came today, the 8th!

BIG BOOK, over 500 pages. Good pics. But I was rather disappointed in the gastropod and cephalopod sections for the Ordovician. It does not have many of the ones that I am finding here, including the common Maclurites. However, it is well worth the money! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I also just bought a copy of Fossils of Ohio. I ordered it on Friday and it was delivered on Tuesday.

I've only had time to glance through it so far, but I've already found an identification for the small globular fossils I found at St. Paul, Indiana. They're not crinoids or blastoids; they're sponges!