Lacy Bryozoan?

MPH

I am intrigued by the near perfect circular shape of this rock. Found in Mississippian river rock.

post-15101-0-16769500-1399307238_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it's from a core? What does the reverse look like?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interesting. I wonder if someone was trying to make a pendant (Native American?) That looks like an attempt to make a suspension hole at 6 o'clock. Maybe it was too hard to get through, or the drilling hit a hard inclusion/fossil.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Yup, I think this is a piece of a drill core.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Yup, I think this is a piece of a drill core.

A left-behind bit from a geo survey? Congrats on finding it! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

looks like a core sample to me also, with fenestrate bryozoan. I once broke a core sample (Ord) and found a nearly complete prone Flexicalymene trilobite. Alas, It vanished while I was away in the Navy.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Being a newb without much background in geology or paleontology, can you guys give me a little more info on what a core sample is and how it likely came to be? Thanks!!

Core sample is a mining term. They use a large machine that drills straight down into the earth. The drill has a hollow core. When extracted, you get depending on the size of the drill bit, generally a one to three foot sampling of the layers of rock and mineral at the depth that they have reached. In most cases, the miners are looking for minerals (Ruby, Emerald, etc.) or most likely - metals (like gold, copper, nickel, etc). Core samples that have no indication of minerals or metals are usually discarded at the site. Those with evidence of minerals or metals are sent to a lab for analysis.

Bob

One other question about this specimen....painshill had mentioned the possibility of an attempted suspension hole at 6'oclock. I see these little, incomplete holes from time to time on various rocks. Is there a natural explanation for this finding?

Edited by MPH

It's also possible from a bore hole used to insert explosives when blasting out a roadcut. For very hard rock, these semicircular impressions persist for many years.

Soil/rock coring is used in several disciplines for different purposes. Civil engineers and Geotechies analyze the strength and porosity of the subsurface to design suitable foundations for everything from dams and bridges to buildings and highways. Geologists study formation sequences and the associated fossil fauna (think natural gas exploration). And as Magicman said the technique can be used for mineral exploration. All of the blasting I've seen has been with drill holes but I guess if you need more bang

the blast holes could be cored, though it would be rather expensive.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

The field drilling method of paleomagnetic sampling also uses coring: LINK

I first learned of this in Peter Wards great book Gorgon.

• I found this Informative 1