Stegosaurus Fossils?

fossilsftw

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to fossils.

I was wondering if its possible to own a stegosaurus fossil. As its my favorite, I would love to have one!

But, I haven't really come across much in my search.

Thanks for all your help!

Erin

You can find a tooth for sale on eBay and on certain fossil website stores. Google and see what's out there. Good Luck!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Erin

Paleo Gallery offers some limited Stego material and they are a much more reliable source than most on the web. Not cheap because of rarity. Good luck its a cool critter.

I don't think there are any rocks around where you are that would have any dinosaur fossils in them, they are too old. Your best shot for getting stegosaur remains would be the internet, and they would also be quite expensive. I don't blame you for wanting one though, we all have a hard to get fossil that we really want. Mines a eurypterid.

Thanks everyone.

I checked out the prices and, unfortunately, they're far out of my reach.

I'll stick to more affordable fossils for now.

I bought a spinosaurus tooth on ebay from someone who seems to be a really good dealer. I can't wait to get it :).

Erin

Yes, Morrison Formation dinosaur material is rare. I have seen more T. rex teeth for sale (especially lately) than Allosaurus. Sauropod teeth seem to be at least a little rarer than Allosaurus but Stegosaurus and Camptosaurus teeth are even rarer. In the 90's someone found a group of Stegosaurus teeth and then sold them rather inexpensively. I haven't seen one for sale at a show since then.

The thing about stegosaur teeth is that they look a lot like ankylosaur teeth. I don't recall how they were distinguished other than you don't get ankylosaurs in the Morrison - too old for them.

Thanks everyone.

I checked out the prices and, unfortunately, they're far out of my reach.

I'll stick to more affordable fossils for now.

I bought a spinosaurus tooth on ebay from someone who seems to be a really good dealer. I can't wait to get it :).

Erin

I also saw a few sell a couple of years ago and they were also inexpensive (for how rare they are) but they sell extremely quick and you have to be very lucky to get one.

Yes, Morrison Formation dinosaur material is rare. I have seen more T. rex teeth for sale (especially lately) than Allosaurus. Sauropod teeth seem to be at least a little rarer than Allosaurus but Stegosaurus and Camptosaurus teeth are even rarer. In the 90's someone found a group of Stegosaurus teeth and then sold them rather inexpensively. I haven't seen one for sale at a show since then.

The thing about stegosaur teeth is that they look a lot like ankylosaur teeth. I don't recall how they were distinguished other than you don't get ankylosaurs in the Morrison - too old for them.

I have to reply to this... Morrison Fm material is not at all rare. It is rather uncommon on the commercial market. Emphasis on the commercial market. A lot of the Morrison is on federal land, and even on private lands very few people are actively collecting it to sell. Morrison Fm bones are actually abundant. It is hard to walk around any Morrison outcrop and NOT find bones. They are everywhere.

Morrison microsites are rare, but Lance/ Hell Creek (where T rex is found) microsites are common. Microsites are good sources of isolated teeth. This is another reason you rarely see Allosaurus teeth for sale.

Edited by jpc