Fake Brachiopod?

roberts_jesse

I hate to ask again so soon about if a fossil is real or fake but I'm just a bit confused about a little brachiopod fossil I bought recently. It was all the same color but then it got wet and seems to have changed it's colors a bit in some areas even after drying completely. Here are some pictures (and a bonus picture of my beginner fossil collection.) The picture of the whole collection is from before the change in the brachiopod's color. Thank you for any help!

post-15135-0-53735900-1399345971_thumb.jpg

post-15135-0-09635200-1399345973_thumb.jpg

post-15135-0-62815000-1399345974_thumb.jpg

post-15135-0-43014000-1399345976_thumb.jpg

I would not think creating fake brachiopods would be a very lucrative business for anyone. My belief based on that reasoning is that it is real.

I believe your fossil is indeed "real." Enjoy it. I'm liking those display/storage boxes.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Agree with those comments. I wouldn't worry 'bout it for a moment. You've probably just washed a small amount of mineral or clay deposit off the surface. Just bear in mind it's not always a good idea to wash fossils if you're not sure what kind of deposit they came out of. Cute little horn coral top right.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thank you everyone! It probably seemed like a silly question but I'm really new to this so I wasn't quite sure. Thank you for the help and the compliments on my collection! :)

Brachiopods are so common that it would cost more to fake them then you could sell then for!

-kevin

... Cute little horn coral top right.

Top left (Top right is the Moroccan 'Orthoceras'.)

Edited by Wrangellian

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like an Ordovician Lepidocyclus .

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks