Where To Find Trilobites?

Clanjones

I am interested in looking for trilobites (Minnesota). Where are the best places to look for them? The only one(s?) I have ever found was found in Lilydale Park, which is now closed. Are there any other places where they can be collected? Are they easily distinguished from the surrounding rock or are they difficult to see?

In my experience, the best way to find trilobite bearing rock is through trial and error. Experiment a little- try fossil hunting in other places. If you do that, odds are you'll find a trilobite eventually plus tons of other cool stuff too.

(This is the best advice I can give without actually knowing anything about Minnesota)

Do you think there is any hope Lilydale Park will ever be opened to collecting again?

Don

Hello from SE Mn. I have been collecting fossils locally for about 1 year. During this time, not knowing much other than what is available on the internet, I developed an understanding of the local rock structures. Then by trudging through many rocky road cuts, I was able to figure trilobite locations within the different formations. Now my success rate on a hunt has skyrocketed. Study hard and then practice the knowledge learned in the field and you will be successful. There are MANY locations locally much better than the park you had frequented.