Vertebra With Hole 35 Mm

rud

Whoooa!....that vert is so well preserved that it almost looks like a cast! Good job!

It seems to me to be mammalian....some fossil bison vertabra kinda have a similarity to it, but i haven't saw an exact match.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Perhaps something from the cervical group? A wolf atlas resembles it in a way, but that is no match either...

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

It is the occiput and the basicranium of a skull, not a vertebra. I'd look at bison and horse first, seems about the right size. Better pictures would help.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks for the feedback ! Concerning horse, i found ref. that the hole of a vertebra is only 2.5 mm ...?

I suppose it is known what is the hole of a basicranium of a bison ?

Anyway, i will make more and clear pictures.

So, here more details. Into the central hole, they are 4 holes (about 7-8 mm). In photo 5, you can see 2 of them. In photo 2, you can see where 2 of them comes out. In photo 8, one of the others comes out.

post-15224-0-75022400-1399973531_thumb.jpg

post-15224-0-15063200-1399973544_thumb.jpg

post-15224-0-03195800-1399973570_thumb.jpg

post-15224-0-64848700-1399973576_thumb.jpg

Lots of nerve bundles and blood vessels pass through the basicranium; it is the nexus of the neural network.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

Those, I suspect, are the foramina for the passage of the hypoglossal nerve and one other - the vagus, maybe?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".