Some Type Of Coral?

safossils

This is from Pennsylvanian sediments in Southern Arizona (Horquilla Formation). I have it labled as coral (Phylum Cnidaria). Anyone have a better or more specific identification. Maybe it's not a fossil at all.

Thanks in advance,

Walt

unknown.jpg

I still think it's some type of coral. I looked through some picts from another trip to the area and found this photo of a horn coral eroding from the matrix. The pattern looks very similar. Although mineral seapage is also a possiblity, or maybe some combination that gave it the color.

Thanks for the help,

Walt

rugosecoral1024X768807.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Is it rounded or flat? The end toward left in the photo appears to be part of the fossil that has weathered more than the other parts. If it were coral, this part would exhibit septa. I can't think of a mineral that would leave that pattern. Throw some magnification to it and see it it has remnants of zooecia along the trellis pattern(though that could have been destroyed in diagenesis). I am almost certain that it is a fenestrate-probably Fenestrellina sp.

THIS is a link to a pic of a Fenestrellina sp that was collected in the Penn. of NM.

it's really interesting, particularly how the cellular structure seems random on the left side and oriented on the right side. if you'd just shown me the colors and the structure on the left i would have said it looked like a cross-section cut through agatized dino bone, but that doesn't work with the rest of the equation. my guess, then would have to be that, whatever organism(s) constructed the lattice, built from right to left, and got schnockered on their lunch break...

Guest Nicholas
it's really interesting, particularly how the cellular structure seems random on the left side and oriented on the right side. if you'd just shown me the colors and the structure on the left i would have said it looked like a cross-section cut through agatized dino bone, but that doesn't work with the rest of the equation. my guess, then would have to be that, whatever organism(s) constructed the lattice, built from right to left, and got schnockered on their lunch break...

My best bet would be sometimes corals deteriorate as they fossilize, or there was a bit of decay. Sometimes it throws the structures off and makes things seem a little off.

My best bet would be sometimes corals deteriorate as they fossilize, or there was a bit of decay. Sometimes it throws the structures off and makes things seem a little off.

It looks like a sp. or horn coral Dibonophylum bipartium too me but very deteriarted. if it is i have a piece almost i denyicle to that.