Whiskey Bridge 1-24-09

makoken

Met up with Owen & Chase, who showed me how to work the location better. Much thanks to them both. Here are some trip pics. The first of Chase workin' it hard.

post-1010-1232905451_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1232905710_thumb.jpg

Met up with Owen & chase, who showed me how to work the location better. Much thanks to them both. Here are some trip pics. The first of Chase workin' it hard.
Another pic. I'll post the rest in my Texas gallery.

post-1010-1232906340_thumb.jpg

I'm taking pictures right now because I forgot to take any yesterday :faint: I've been busy cleaning and repairing everything. I even put together a ray barb that was in 3 pieces (going through matrix to find the rest) and a cuttlefish beak that was in a kagillion pieces that I thought was a gonner and would never be put back together again.

Thanks Ken and Owen for coming out for the dig and thank you Owen for the great petrified wood trip after the dig :D There were a lot of people who showed up besides us, but none introduced themselves... <_<

Found some really nice vertebrate fossils this trip, as well as some really nice corals. I took a picture of the best side of the beak---it was HUGE and COMPLETE when I first exposed it, but it quickly crumbled as soon as I touched it. It was about 3 inches long to begin with--I got a very rare glimpse of what a whole one looks like. The tiger shark tooth is complete and by far the best tooth I've found. Found some nice smaller teeth and ray plates as well while sifting through my throw-dirt. I even found a small piece of petrified wood here--that was an odd find for this site!

CIMG3129.jpg

CIMG3130.jpg

CIMG3131.jpg

CIMG3132.jpg

CIMG3133.jpg

My shark tooth collection from this site before this trip :)

Nice sundial shell, too!

The tiger is in awesome condition and of good size.

You'll have to post the pix of the palmwood.

MikeD will get a big laugh out of the fact that you found the two pieces at the retention pond within about 5' of where I was standing. I usually pull that trick on him! :blink:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice sundial shell, too!

The tiger is in awesome condition and of good size.

You'll have to post the pix of the palmwood.

MikeD will get a big laugh out of the fact that you found the two pieces at the retention pond within about 5' of where I was standing. I usually pull that trick on him! :blink:

That Tiger shark tooth is sweet!! Check out this Ancilla, my first!

post-1010-1232924605_thumb.jpg

Yep and pretty uncommon as I understand it.

I don't have one yet that has come out whole.

Good find!

That is a beautiful specimen. Probably the biggest I have seen. I wish I could have made it there. Two weekends in a row would be fun, but too much else to do.

Chase, that's also that biggest hunk of that branching coral that I seen, nice.

Well done. I like the Ancilla.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Been really busy since Sunday--back hurts from sitting in front of a microscope for 6 hrs today, so I figured I'd take a break, lay down, and post those pictures :D

Here's some of the petrified wood I brought back from this trip including the 2 pieces of palm wood :)

CIMG3134.jpg

CIMG3135.jpg

CIMG3136.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3138.jpg

Very nice, we should have gone with you guys. We didn't come up with anything great after you left :faint:

lol well there's always next time :D Just make sure to preserve those shells along with the roots of those shark teeth (dunk the whole teeth in) when you get the chance. 1 tube duco glue from walmart + 8 ounces acetone from home depot==stir well in an open top glass container--SHALLOW with a WIDE lip so you can get your hand in there to pull the fossils out--it's a pain when you can't get your hand in the fossil jar!!! Wear latex gloves, drop shells one at a time in and take out after about 5 seconds and place on a piece of aluminum foil QUICKLY. Scrape any extra residue off with finger nail or polish off with paper towel if there is a film AFTER it is dry--usually a film is left on bone or teeth because they can't be penetrated by the solution--a quick polish takes off the film and makes them look nice! Don't be slow on the process and do this outside because the acetone evaporates quickly. The solution has lost too much glue if when you put a drop on a piece of foil it doesn't turn white anymore--check after dipping about 20 shells. It has lost too much acetone if a drop turns almost solid white instead of a ghost/see-through white. The process is very simple and hard to do wrong--it's well worth it as well because it stabilizes the fossils and makes them a little harder to break in case of accidents or just jingling around in their case.

Looking forward to the next trip! :D

Great palm wood pieces.

I hope you get a chance to polish the red one.

That could come out REALLY cool.

Wow, Pat! Nice avatar. I thought I was having a flashback!

Mike, I think Pat can drive with us now since he obviously would enjoy Deep Purple, too... :blink:

Mike, I think Pat can drive with us now since he obviously would enjoy Deep Purple, too... :blink:

Hey Chase, I have a large rock saw 12" & two different tumblers, & a cab wheel if you would like to cut and polish some of that wood!

Sounds good, and I don't mind the smoke but no Smoke on the Water...........Well OK! :D

Sounds good, and I don't mind the smoke but no Smoke on the Water...........Well OK! :D

Deep Purple, Frank Zappa & Black Sabbath

Hey Chase, I have a large rock saw 12" & two different tumblers, & a cab wheel if you would like to cut and polish some of that wood!

Hey Makoken, you into the lapidary stuff too? That's great, Man I got a lot of wood but have to get a shed built so as to get setup. Maybe this summer!