Texas Salenia Species

JohnJ

I did get out in the cold wind yesterday. It was worth it. I found some Phymosoma spines, a crab claw, and this little Salenia echinoid (my first one for this location). However, I appeal again to those more studied in the spherical inverts...is this S. mexicana, S. leanderensis, or S. phillipsae? Thanks for any help.

post-420-1232909674_thumb.jpgpost-420-1232909858_thumb.jpg

post-420-1232909895_thumb.jpg

post-420-1232909959_thumb.jpgpost-420-1232909977_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

John:

The large number of ambulacral tubercles (at least 11 per row) in the ambulacra eliminates Salenia phillipsae (which has 5 to 6 tubercles per row) from further consideration. The lack of radial ornamentation on the plates, the round apical system and the apparent number of ambulacral tubercles makes me believe that the echinoid may be Salenia leanderensis. Salenia mexicana has 18 to 20 ambulacral tubercles per row.

Without examining the echinoid more closely, I cannot state with certainty that it is not a juvenile Salenia mexicana, however. Count the number of ambulacral tubercles in a row. If there are 11 to 12, then it likely it is Salenia leanderensis. If there are 18 to 20, then it is likely that it is Salenia mexicana. Was the echinoid found in the Walnut?

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I suspected S. leanderensis because it has 24 total tubercles combined in two rows. (I didn't want to prejudice anyone and lead with leanderensis) The formation would be very low in the Walnut, or edging into the Glen Rose. Thanks for the insight.

cutie pies!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Nice echinoid JohnJ :)

BTW, Mike. is it possible to have a little key of the different TX Salenias?

:)

These are not all the salenias in Texas but some

of the most common ones.

post-13-1233075017_thumb.jpg

That is from the pdf, Comanche Echinoids...

Welcome to the forum!

These are not all the salenias in Texas but some

of the most common ones...

Roz,

I like MB's idea. Do you have any "scaled" pics of Salenia echs you've found in Texas? Lance, Dan, Mike, and anyone else? It would be neat if we could get photos (with different views and scale reference) of all the known Salenia species found in Texas. It would be even better if all the pics were of personal finds or acquisitions...kind of a mini forum project (the Texas Salenia Project :D ). Multiple photos of the same species could reveal variations in size and other characteristics. So if someone posts a S. texana, it would still be great to see others. Besides, the little "planetoids" just look cool! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

JohnJ,

Here's a fantastic Salenia texana gifted to me by Mr. Woehr. You can use these pics, they are copyright free. ;)

post-11-1233876393_thumb.jpg

post-11-1233876411_thumb.jpg

post-11-1233876419_thumb.jpg

post-11-1233876426_thumb.jpg

JohnJ,

Here's a fantastic Salenia texana gifted to me by Mr. Woehr. You can use these pics, they are copyright free. ;)

Thanks, Lance. I've decided to shift this project idea to a new post - Texas Salenia Project. I hope you and others will help this idea gain momentum. I think it would be cool if we built an ad hoc ID guide. Thanks for the basis of the idea, MB!