Trilobite Name Confusion

4circle

Hello,

I have an old trilobite labelled "Ogygia" which I'm struggling to find in a modern reference book - is this name now superseded by the genus Ogygiocarella? Or is Ogygia still a valid name that I just haven't found yet?

I know there are a few trilobite experts here, a spot of expert insight would be greatly appreciated here please! Many thanks!

[i didn't know whether it was legitimate to post this in the 'ID' forum so put it here]

The genus Ogygia was surpressed in 1983 by the ICZN (Opinion 1259). According to Jell & Adrain (2002), over the last 150 years the name has been applied to nine different trilobites including Ogygopsis klotzi from North America. If you post a photo we can figure out which one you might have.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The genus Ogygia was surpressed in 1983 by the ICZN (Opinion 1259). According to Jell & Adrain (2002), over the last 150 years the name has been applied to nine different trilobites including Ogygopsis klotzi from North America. If you post a photo we can figure out which one you might have.

Ahh thanks. That would explain it

It's here https://flic.kr/p/nCXLiw I'm afraid it's not a perfect specimen but a suggestion would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

It looks like a good match for Ogygiocarella which Salter (1849) initially referred to Ogygia buchii.

That seems to be a plausible explanation for the label confusion.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png