How To Clean What I Found Today

Yomynameishannah

Hi all! I found this Ammonite while fossil hunting today in Fort Worth, Texas. It is 9 inches in diameter and it's a bit more tender than my other ammonites. It has a crack that runs through the top part but the crack doesn't seem to run through to the other side.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to get the matrix off and what products would be the best to use? I have a dremel, and beeswax, and a sewing needle. This picture is the top, with flash.

post-15218-0-99992900-1400637143_thumb.jpg

Take a picture of the whole piece of rock and then post it. Then we will be able to see any weak spots in the surrounding matrix that we could take advantage of. There might also be some solution you could use to weaken or dissolve the matrix instead of chipping away at it, but I don't know anything about that. Anyways, nice ammonite- you seem to have a talent for finding those.

Thank you! Its very easy to find them in north Texas I've noticed. Good idea! I'm definitely going to look more into the solution idea. I've heard a little bit of apple cider vinegar is a good things to use.

I think it's fine the way it is!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I personally prefer it left on the matrix. It might actually help stabilize the fossil and keep it in one piece. Nice find!

Dorensigbadges.JPG