Once Upon A Shark, But Which One?

tracer

forget everything but the tooth in the middle, because the rest of the things are merely distractors thrown in the picture to confuse the issue. the tooth in the middle - the root is fat and has a big ole nutrient groove running up the top. so what kinda shark is this tooth from, hmm? inquiring minds want to know...

thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

sincerely,

tracer

post-488-1233015067_thumb.jpg

p.s. - it came from galveston

I agree with others that it may well be a Negaprion. Seems posterior lemonish to me. Check if it smells lemon fresh or not. Then don't tell anyone you did that, regardless of the results.

The others may be right about Lemon, but it's hard to be sure without some more info -- like size, potential time period, presence of serrations (on crown and shoulders, just shoulders, or none at all). A worn Gray/Requiem (Carcharhinus) might also fit this photo.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

yeah, i pretty much blew it on this posting. it's not a small tooth. the root is very close to 3/4 inch wide. slant measure longer than 3/4. didn't see any serrations. it was found on the beach in an area where stuff tends to be pleistocene or holocene at the oldest. i may have to take better pictures in better light. in the past, we've pretty much tended to find bull shark and small lemon shark teeth in the area. this tooth was different, so it got my curiousity up.

yeah, i pretty much blew it on this posting. it's not a small tooth. the root is very close to 3/4 inch wide. slant measure longer than 3/4. didn't see any serrations. it was found on the beach in an area where stuff tends to be pleistocene or holocene at the oldest. i may have to take better pictures in better light. in the past, we've pretty much tended to find bull shark and small lemon shark teeth in the area. this tooth was different, so it got my curiousity up.
Here are a couple Lemon shark teeth from the Peace River. I think that yours has a different root. Maybe a Gray shark?

post-1010-1233024637_thumb.jpg

The others may be right about Lemon, but it's hard to be sure without some more info -- like size, potential time period, presence of serrations (on crown and shoulders, just shoulders, or none at all). A worn Gray/Requiem (Carcharhinus) might also fit this photo.

I agree...

Kevin Wilson